Need help deciding on tires

littleshak

Rillton, Pa
Vehicle Model
fg4
Body Style
Coupe
I currently have the stock 225/40-r18 Continental Contiprocontact all season tires on my car. I ran them all winter and know that 2 of them won't pass inspection in the of May. I am hard on tires. I don't think I've had a set of all season tires last more than15-20k miles.
I live in S.W. Pa and our winters are unpredictable.
I have been looking at getting 4 of the Continental extremecontact DWS06 all season radials, but I'm afraid they won't be good for snow by the time winter rolls around.
What i need help with is should i get a good set of summer tires to run until September-ish and then get the dws06 to run for the winter? Or get dedicated winter wheel/tire combo (probably 16" to save $) to run for a few months with the dws06 in between the summer and winter?
In summary:
2 sets of tires for the 18" oem wheels (all season and summer) with 16" snows
OR
Get the dws06 now to run through summer and get 16" snows
OR
Summers now and dws06 for september through april

Unless anyone has any other suggestions and before anyone says it I'm not going to buy new wheels, they aren't in my budget right now, just tires.
Thanks in advance.

Dedicated sets of wheels and tires for winter and summer. Especially since you live in PA.

A dedicated winter is especially important if you have power mods. My winter tires wore down to the all-season mark back in January and I could immediately tell the difference.

2 sets is best if you can afford it. There is nothing like a good snow tire when its cold out and especially if you have to deal with any amount of snow on the roads.

Ok so I am going to buy some 16" wheels and snow tires,that's not going to be an issue, but it won't be for about 6 or 7 months.
I'm still wondering if i should get a set of all season and a set of summer tires to swap out on my stock 18s or just a really good set of all season tires. I've been leaning towards just getting all season tires to run from March/April through September/October.
I like the Continental dws06. Has anyone on here used them or have any other all season tires that are really good for wet and dry traction.

Reactions: Nix
It all depends on what you want. All-seasons are decent but dedicated summers are awesome! Especially if you have the budget for a set of winter wheels/tires.

Michelin Pilot Super Sports are a phenomenal summer tire that can handle some rain and cold weather if you get caught before you get the snow tires on at the end of the year.

I agree. If you're willing to run winter tires, then get a dedicated summer tire to use from spring till the end of fall. That's what I do. You're going to feel a totally different car when running summer rubber.

What's the reasoning behind having a snow set and then an all season set? If you're going to have a snow set, you should have a dedicated summer set.

What's the reasoning behind having a snow set and then an all season set? If you're going to have a snow set, you should have a dedicated summer set.
My thoughts are, that here, in western Pa that it gets cold before the snow starts flying and it's still cold after the snow stops, and dedicated summer tires don't perform well in cold. I would need to run snow tires from September through April (9 months) 4 of which we actually get snow.

The all seasons would be for the cold, not so much for the snow, and the summer set would for the 3 to 4 months that it's above 50° all day.

I leave my house at 4:30a.m. for work. There are days up until the end of April that it's below 40° when I leave, and by the end of September it's the same way. The only months that there is actually guaranteed to be any snow is November to March.

Snow/winter tires work well in cold temperatures on dry pavement so you would be fine to keep the winter set on even if its not snowing. I would agree that running a winter/snow set and summer set is the way to go. if you like the continental then you could look at the DW summer version?

I ended up ordering Firestone firehawk wide oval Indy 500s. they were on closeout at $100. I know they aren't quite as good as some others like the pilot ss but they are still better than the stock all seasons I have now.

No complaints. I don't drive the car hard but they are a huge improvement over stock all seasons. Price was unbeatable with the rebate too. I paid $265 shipped plus $80 for mount/balance

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Back