Need Your Advice...Shift Knob Nut Stripped and knob is now stuck

Daniel Bivona

Pompton Plains, NJ
Vehicle Model
Si
Body Style
FB6
Greetings members, I had purchased a flossy shift knob and replaced the stock one some time ago, however, after removing it a few times and putting back on, the nut got stripped and now my shift knob will not budge when trying to take it off to replace with another one no matter how much force I use. Has anyone else ever had this problem, is there a fix to get it off OR does the whole set up need to be replaced? Thanks in advance. -Dan

Last edited:
Try wrapping the gear stick with an ice pack till it gets cold, then heat the knob with a hair blower...... with a glove on, try to loosen.....

I'd try brute strength.:mad:
The other thing you can do is put something around the nut underneath the shift knob to protect it and use pliers to loosen it off. It's a jam nut so it's probably preventing you from getting the knob to turn.

If you have one you could always try a flare wrench. Its designed for fittings on things like brake lines where you want to get as much grip on the nut as possible without rounding it off. If all else fails you could always use vice grips to get a good hold on the damaged nut. Either way I'd replace the nut when you do get the knob off so you don't have this issue again.

If you can get a pair of vice grips with the needle nose looking end would most likely work and if it's an issue with being too tight try using some knock r loose on it

Back