NEW 2013 Civic si owner

ranger11x

Ft.Bragg
Vehicle Model
Civic SI
Body Style
coupe
Hello everyone! Just bought a brand new 13 black civic si its my first civic and first new car period but, not my first honda by a long shot. Ive had about 6 preludes(never crashed one of em) so im very familiar with H series engine and never dabbled much in the k series. I've tried to learn as much about it as i can but i am still unfamiliar with alot of the mods or potential of these cars. Ive seen a few things i like by lurking a little bit on the site. some things im really interested in are.
1.how do you change the dash colors from red to blue
2. what does an rbc intake mani do and what are the benefits over stock?
3.why don't i ever feel vtec kick in my friends k20 kicks kinda hard but my k24 is barley noticeable im a little dissapointed i can't even hear it!
4. what is the deal with the k24/k20 frankenmotor and why is it done?
5. Thank you for reading and answering any questions. I look forward to be a contributing member of this forum and learning alot about my new car

Welcome! You can change your i-MID color from red to blue via the settings. Unfortunately you can't change the whole dash from red to blue that easy. You would have to swap with a non-Si and by doing so you'd lose some of the Si dash features. For example, the VTEC meter.

Welcome to the site! :wavey: That's a lot of questions. Lol.

1) I don't think you'll be able to change the dash colors unless you end up replacing the lights. The red dash color is on the Sis, the blue is on the non-Sis/R18s.

2) The RBC intake manifold is what was used on the previous Civic Si. It is made of cast aluminum compared to the half composite half aluminum that the current Sis have now. The RBC Intake Manifold is less restrictive so air flow going to the engine is smoother.

3) The K24's power band does not drop during the vtec engagement compared to the K20s. Lol. Maybe that's why you don't feel it.

4) People want to make their K24s with a K20 head bc they want to add a race header to their cars. The 2012+ Si's have a collector (integrated header) with one outlet that connects to a down pipe.

Welcome fellow North Carolina member!
With the K24 when vtec engages, only the intake side of the valves change over on the "hot cam" not the exhaust. Thats why it's not as noticeable as the k20, but it is noticeable. The more you drive it you will be able to hear it and the vtec indicator on the dash will also light up. Also, the k24 has huge potential for modifications.

Welcome to the forum. I think you've come to the right place to get the info you need. Lots of knowledge here. Keep us posted on what you decide to do.

I loved the Preludes.

Even without flashpro? I plan on getting the takeda soon hopefully. I've heard nothing but great things
About it.
yea with out it has been a few days and seems to be going back to normal power wise but sound is amazing.... i have been told that the ecu will relearn the changes with out a tune and bring it back closer to stock. i did notice a 1mpg increase and i have been driving harder than usual :vtec:

Wow that was fast. thanks alot guys guess i won't be changing colors any time soon. and not switching the head either because i plan to go S/C at the end of the warranty. simple bolt ons will do for now and maybe a flashpro once i get used to the car and need moar powaaa. again thanks for such quick responses. one last thing anybody got any tips for cleaning and detailing a black car? this thing is impossible!

There really isn't a point getting a k20 head swap bc it is too costly and time consuming. And you'll need to do a lot of custom work to make a custom header fit the exhaust. The K24 doesn't really need all that bc the current supporting mods are just enough for the engine to make a pretty good amount of power.

I too have a black car. After owning a black E46 330Ci, I swore I would never own a black car again. But I was sold on the CBP Si sedan.

I use Maguire's "quik detailer" after every wash to make sure there's no swirls. I still haven't applied a real coat of wax yet because the paint is too new. I find myself washing my car weekly because black shows dirt and dust so conspicuously.

My best advice: keep it garaged (if possible); don't park it under trees; go slow through puddles; wipe off bird dropping immediately; and keep a bottle of the spray detailer and some microfiber towels in your trunk!

Wow that was fast. thanks alot guys guess i won't be changing colors any time soon. and not switching the head either because i plan to go S/C at the end of the warranty. simple bolt ons will do for now and maybe a flashpro once i get used to the car and need moar powaaa. again thanks for such quick responses. one last thing anybody got any tips for cleaning and detailing a black car? this thing is impossible!

its a daily battle cleaning a black car...then within 24 hrs it rains....ahhhhhhh. only good answer is that i shoulda got a white coupe.

Welcome. Getting an intake helps a little with hearing the vtec crossover (I had the K&N SRI and preferred that sound over stock). And besides what everyone else mentioned another part of why you don't hear the crossover as well is the vtec point being only at 5000 rpm. The higher the vtec point, the easier it's to hear the crossover.

Last edited:
Back