New Clutch Install

davefootball123

Since I purchased my 2012 Civic with about 100,000km on it, there was occasionally a little bit of clutch chatter when engaging first gear under higher loads or higher revs, like on a hill for example. This was diagnosed as some hot spots on the flywheel and there indeed were quite a few. I had the flywheel resurfaced and then while up there I thought the clutch may as well be replaced too, given the amount of labour involved. It was replaced with an Exedy OEM kit.
Upon receiving the car back, all seems okay except there is a little bit of chatter when engaging first/reverse gear. More apparent with slipping the clutch. I was told there would be about a 1000km break in period, however I was wondering if this is normal. The issue seems to be subsiding very slowly but I'm not sure if I should have them look at it again. The original clutch disk had lots of life left and I'm not having any trouble engaging gears or anything of that sort.

Dave

I've always babied a new clutch replacement for "break in". Are you reving the car and launching from a stop?

No I'm driving very lightly as per recommendations. No excessive revs or anything of that nature. Light shifting and such.

I think most clutches say something like 500 miles for break in. I'd put some more miles on the car before taking it back to the installer.

Thanks webby. I'll give it some miles and see how it goes. I know that the stop and go miles are the most important as a clutch needs many heat cycles to properly break in. If it does turn out to be a flywheel issue, I'll ensure that it is dropped again with no charge and I'll fit the bill for the new flywheel.

Dave

It has been getting better as the days pass with more city driving. Now down to a bit of shudder in first gear but mostly just a vibration. Hopefully it continues to improve with the more kilometres I put on the vehicle. Currently at about 150 km city, 300 combined kilometres. Spoke to the shop today. They said run for at least 1000km and then report back if the issue still persists.

Did you put a new throw out bearing in as well when you had the work done?

Back