New K&N SRI

Looks like I'm getting this intake as a X-mas gift! :D Got on Amazon for $228 and free shipping (Prime member). Will be here on the 24th so I know what I'll be doing for X-mas. So after 10 months and over 36K miles, I'll no longer be stock...well, unless you count a $5 yellow fog tint job a mod. :tongue:

Last edited:
Does anyone have any experience with K&N's Drychargers? They look like they'd be a good idea but has anyone used these before?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00062ZXOK...TF8&colid=29X5YKFXZOWFO&coliid=I2VEUWMREFK3HT

I know people who have used them before to sort of help with fear of hydrolock on true CAI's and/or to keep road debris off the filter down that low, but I'm not sure it'd be necessary at all for a setup like the K&N Tyhpoon SRI. I'm FAR from an expert though!

The k&n sits way up at the top of the engine bay. You'd have to sink the whole engine in water to get the filter wet.

Not worried about the hydro lock but more just keeping the filter cleaner for longer. Thanks for the replies!

Absolutely love this intake. The growl this thing makes in 3rd+ gear is very nice. Pretty sure it's not helping my mileage much since I get on her more just to hear that intake howl. VTEC switchover is very noticeable now.

I keep thinking about getting this intake (I have Prime as well), but I see reports of the car losing power with intakes after it "learns" that the higher flowing intake is there. Let us know if you notice any of that over the next week or so!

I keep thinking about getting this intake (I have Prime as well), but I see reports of the car losing power with intakes after it "learns" that the higher flowing intake is there. Let us know if you notice any of that over the next week or so!

I remember this being a big problem with Toyota ECU's. I had a '05 Scion tC and the biggest headache with them were the ECU's because they couldn't be reflashed and if you tried to use a piggyback, the ECU would over-compensate which left you resetting it every week depending on usage. Was good if you bolted on a turbo kit with about 6-8psi because the ECU would self-adjust but anything outside of that, you were having to go standalone. Those FR-S guys better hope they used a Subaru ECU or they'll likely have the same headaches.

After driving the Si for over 600 miles with the K&N on it, I haven't noticed any mellowing-out yet but I'll be putting on another 400+ miles today so I'll see if she behaves differently. I don't have anything as sophisticated as a FlashPro to log the performance so I'll just have to give it the ol' "seat of my pants" test. It noticeably pulls harder in the upper gears since I put the intake on so I'll notice if that goes away.

This is exactly what happened to me... And the reason I went back to stock. No engine mods for me until mr warranty is up and flash pro is installed. IMO they are a waste of cash

Hey I just installed a new k&n intake Sri and when I gun it when I hit vtec I can hear a noise like air leaking through coupler or just air comming into the intake is this normal???

Hey I just installed a new k&n intake Sri and when I gun it when I hit vtec I can hear a noise like air leaking through coupler or just air comming into the intake is this normal???
That does not sound normal. A video would help.

You can hear it right after vtec it sounds like a air sound if u listen close is this common?
Could just be intake sucking air like normal but once I get to 5500rmp you can hear it

Last edited:
You can hear it right after vtec it sounds like a air sound if u listen close is this common?
Could just be intake sucking air like normal but once I get to 5500rmp you can hear it
@Kevin2424 how can you hear an "air sound" at vtec? The engine and exhaust are pretty loud when your revs are that high. I have the K&N SRI and I think it just makes the car sound more throaty when you accelerate. I don't hear any "air" sound. I get a suction noise when you tap the throttle quickly but that's it.

@Kevin2424 how can you hear an "air sound" at vtec? The engine and exhaust are pretty loud when your revs are that high. I have the K&N SRI and I think it just makes the car sound more throaty when you accelerate. I don't hear any "air" sound. I get a suction noise when you tap the throttle quickly but that's it.
Well in that case then mine can't be right and I installed it correctly all couplers are tight and in place

Back