NorCal Club Interest

d_u_a_n_e

Nor Cal - 707 - Sonoma County
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
Sedan
Hey NorCal folks, i am starting this to see how many might be interested in starting a NorCal club. I have nothing really planned out as of yet, but am just seeing whether or not there might be interest in it. Lets talk about it...

For anyone that see's this as of currently, a few car enthusiast friends of mine are having a meet and greet tonight over at Teo Chow Noodle Shack in Fremont for anyone interested. Really short notice but generally they're going to start rolling in around 9 or so.

Hey NorCal folks, i am starting this to see how many might be interested in starting a NorCal club. I have nothing really planned out as of yet, but am just seeing whether or not there might be interest in it. Lets talk about it...

Saw someone post from the AutoMall... which is only about 5 miles from my house. Are you still at that In&Out? lol!

Ok, up here in Sacto (about an hour from Fairfield) there's great driving all over the gold county on Hwy 49 (great gold mining tours as well) Hwy 88 east -- always a classic for high altitude driving -- or one of my faves: up to Foresthill and beyond into the Tahoe National Forest (rare driving opportunity...but no guard rails) then there's always Hwy 36 west of Red Bluff for the most intense afternoon you'll ever have, which is rated in the top 100: http://www.motorcycleroads.com/75/1...-Next-140-miles!!!-(California-Route-36).html

That Hwy 36 west of Red Bluff is our version of the Great Smokey Mountains but without any scenery... and nobody on 9th ever talks about the incredible driving opportunities out there. I guess it doesn't help when most guys are 3000 miles away. (Wimps)

So yeah, count me as part of NorCal. We'll do something someday... or least we'll talk about it!

For NorCal's summer get together, I am proposing a day-trip along the famous "Mosquito Ridge", to be followed by a BBQ at my place. Of course, when you say Mosquito Ridge most eyes glaze over unless you're a suicidal maniac from Sacramento like me. It's really not so famous unless you own a sports car or you live here.

What makes this such a compelling "must do" drive is the almost complete isolation up there...not to mention miles and miles of the twistiest roads in Northern California, deep into the Tahoe National Forest. On a map, plug in directions for Auburn, CA to Hell Hole Reservoir, although driving the first 16 miles is the most fun. I normally drive to Foresthill (great fun but too busy and too much LEO) and then east on Mosquito Ridge where you might see only few cars all day, unless there's a Z-club or some group. There are a few sport bikes but generally the road is a little too chewed up for bikes to be safe. For cars the road is fine. Then again, with blind curves and no medical support nearby, I don't blame the bikes for staying away.

Other considerations that keep some away: The road is narrow, with Dragon-type hairpin curves that are very challenging in every respect. The cliff like drop offs (just a few feet from pavement) can be 1,500 feet in some areas, and guardrails are rare. Also, the road winds along miles of shear cliff so falling rock is a constant hazard.

But despite the hazards it's the best driving in the area. And I'm exaggerating the hazards in the interest of full disclosure, but it's really not that bad.

If you've pulled up a map already, keep this in mind: Once east of Foresthill, you immediately drop from 3,500 feet down to 1,500... like fast, then it's back up to 3,500 ft. and eventually to 6,000+. There is absolutely no cell reception, probably because of the cliffs. So if you go alone, make sure somebody else knows where you're out there. If I had my way, I'd insist on having an initial morning run for practice, doing the first 16 miles to a big rest area, then back to Foresthill for lunch. After lunch we hit that 16 mile stretch a little harder and a little faster. I doubt whether anybody will want to do that 32-mile stretch (16 miles x two) more than twice. You'll be ready for a nice steak and the trip home.

I'm thinking July.... with perhaps a trial run for anybody who wants to come up sooner.

Thoughts?

Reactions: Nix
We have a 9th gen civic group meeting up every friday night. We meet up at San Bruno Starbucks--1212 el camino real san bruno, ca. We meet up around 9:30pm. Anyone is welcome!! Feel free to check the meet and say hi to us. Thanks for droping by.
:feedback:

Attachments

• 10551073_10152254161183247_5792665234650707683_n.jpg
    10551073_10152254161183247_5792665234650707683_n.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 11
Just officially joined as of today. I'm from gilroy , 32 min. From San Jose .... Just got into the honda seen. I own a 2012 honda civic an need some help with some things. If any can that would b cool . Thanks

Back