Not another oil change thread . . . . .

dbosch

The Dust Bowl
Vehicle Model
Si
Body Style
Sedan
Some interesting observations as I performed my first oil change on my ’12 Si. This is its second change at 10000ish miles with the first being at 5000ish miles. Hope the info is useful if you’re wondering how hard it is.

The change was easy. Both the filter and drain bolt are very easy to get to with nothing in the way. There are no covers to remove or exhaust pipes to protect.

Upon finally removing the –A01 Filtech made filter, the engine vomited about ½ quart of oil from the upper gallery thru the center post. Be ready for it. That tells me that the anti-drain back valve in this brand filter is doing its job nicely. It dumped a lot more than I’m used to in my other engines.

There is a semi hidden ledge right behind the filter flange that will catch oil if you’re not careful. What it can do is drool loose oil for awhile if any gets up there when you remove the filter. You may clean everything that you see, but if there is some it can lead to an indication of a false leak.

The oil is thin, thin, thin like kerosene. I thought the 5W-20 oil in my wife’s 08 Odyssey was thin but this is noticeably thinner. The book says to put in 4.4 qts but that left around 0.25 inch to the top line. I finally put in 4.75 qts to the top line.

This car used 0.6 qts in the first 5000 miles and 0.38 qts in the second 5000 miles. A big difference is this second set was in the winter but I don’t know if that has anything to do with it. I’m not really worried about it because I expect this thing to use a little oil as it is really thin, even with a new car with new rings. Yes it is within the VINs listed in the TSB.

On the flip side, my 08 Odyssey has always used around ½ qt of 5W-20 in 5000 miles, even when new. It now has around 85000 miles. It has never gotten worse or better.

Back