Not happy with my runs at the track last night! Any advice?

Tortoise

Hey guys ran my car at atco raceway last night for the first time got 5 runs in and im just not happy with the outcome. My only performance mod is an aFe intake. I tried launching the car from 3k 2k and also leaving from almost idle. I see people going 14.7 stock and was wondering if you guys could tell me where to brush up? Here are my time slips in order of my runs from last night.

Im also 260 pounds and have a sub box in the car, Dont know how much this is hurting me..​

extra weight in the car will hurt. Some take their spare tires out and everything else to get their times down.

Tire pressure ran, track conditions, temperature, power shifting, and launch rpm are all parts of lowering the times. Are you on stock all season tires...? Did you power shift?

Yes im on the stock tires and idk what you mean by power shift..I slammed throught the gears lightning fast. Maybe i should have tried launching higher? Highest i launched was around 3000

F=ma

a=F/m

Assuming your F is basically the same, reducing your mass will directly increase your acceleration.

As webby said, take out your spare tire, < 1/2 tank of gas, take out your sub box, etc.

Yeah im gonna take out the subs and tire next time. Also run with less gas.

Power shift as in keeping the gas pedal floored while you change gears. 2-3 is a good transition to practice on. 1-2 are pretty short but I'm sure you could get it.

What PSI were the front tires set on? 20-25 psi will help.

And what cars were you running against on the 2nd, 4th and 5th slip? Especially the 5th.

If you are letting air out at the track make sure they have air available for the drive back home or bring your own pump. A bike pump will work in a pinch but it takes a little bit of work. Also a good hand/bike pump with a guage will let you get your pressures adjusted pretty darn close to where you want.

Fronts soft
Rears harder

Harbor Freight sells compact electric air compressors for a pretty good price. It's good to have in a car.

were you feathering the gas on the launch ? and also get front tires down to 19-25 psi keep rear at 35 psi it'll produce less rolling friction. And as other members mentioned weight is the key remove any extra weight you can every 100 lbs ~= -.1 in the 1/4 ET

lol no i dont plan on doing that. My 1-2 grinds if i shift too fast as it is
Which is why I don't like drag racing, If I need to know what my car will do in the 1/4 , I'll read Road and Track.
If I need to know what I can do in the 1/4, I'll leave the line as smoothly as possible, get my read out and go home.

i kept the tires wherever they always are. On my first run i ran a 95 mustang cobra,second run was a camaro,third was a silverado, fourth a trailblazer ss,and the last run was a really fast civic hatch. Ran consistent 10.7 all night spinning slicks.

You would get much better numbers if u set the front tires at a lower psi.

I'm 320lbs. I ran 14.8 multiple times. Get those 60ft times down. Drag races are won and lost within the first 60ft. I launch around 3-3500rpm. Just enough for slight chirping out of the hole. Get down to 2.1 60ft times and you will see 14's.

I don't power shift either. I leave everything in the car. No weight savings.

I'm 320lbs. I ran 14.8 multiple times. Get those 60ft times down. Drag races are won and lost within the first 60ft. I launch around 3-3500rpm. Just enough for slight chirping out of the hole. Get down to 2.1 60ft times and you will see 14's.

I don't power shift either. I leave everything in the car. No weight savings.
all in the driver :)

you could have an extra 100-120lbs in gasoline if you're running close to full. That's worth a tenth or more off your times.

Back