Official Computer Talk Thread

I'll join in! Here's my current build.

Desk is a mess per usual.
ea2c1ec365f660183722799aa591666f.jpg

Nice. Open air build. Do you have it mounted on the wall?

thinking about pulling a trigger on a 32” monitor for Black Friday.

Too big of a monitor. Is it 1440p @ 144hz?

Also I can't go single monitor setup. Dual or nothing!

Nice. Open air build. Do you have it mounted on the wall?

Also I can't go single monitor setup. Dual or nothing!

I really want to, but I've moved my desk setup 4 times this year already. I've kinda learned that I don't leave well enough alone, so I try to make things as easy to move as possible.

Dual Monitors or bust. I've got a 3 - 27" setup right now. 2 on an arm on the desk and then a 3rd mounted to the wall next to the desk. Kind of the secondary workstation for testing and building machines.

Sure for editing.. but not gaming lol

I don't have enough room on my desk for a TV that big.

I really want to, but I've moved my desk setup 4 times this year already. I've kinda learned that I don't leave well enough alone, so I try to make things as easy to move as possible.

Dual Monitors or bust. I've got a 3 - 27" setup right now. 2 on an arm on the desk and then a 3rd mounted to the wall next to the desk. Kind of the secondary workstation for testing and building machines.

Moved your desk setup. Like moved your desk around in the room? I haven't moved my desk because it's a corner desk lol

I don't have enough room on my desk/in the office for a secondary workstation... I could switch between inputs on my right monitor I guess.

Moved your desk setup. Like moved your desk around in the room? I haven't moved my desk because it's a corner desk lol

I don't have enough room on my desk/in the office for a secondary workstation... I could switch between inputs on my right monitor I guess.

Yeah, I had it in the office originally. Moved from a corner desk to the other side of the room at a regular rectangle desk (Corner desk got repurposed). That was the first move. Then I moved my current desk about 5 feet down the wall it was on, which required remounting of the monitors on the wall. (Second move) Then I got a second table that I fashioned into a corner desk of sorts, but not in the corner of the room. (Not quite a move, but drastic repositioning) Then I figured I'd have more space if I moved my whole desk setup to the living room, which is where it's at now. So that's 3 moves since April and we just moved into this apartment back in March. (Which was the initial placement)

So really I guess you could say that it's been moved 5 times. :confused:

I know. I have problems... :shhhh:

Okay. Maybe y’all can help me. Have my little rig running and today I find it in the BIOS screen. Won’t boot past that. Trying to think through what the problem is.

M.2 and SATA section says N/A, should say something as there are two M.2 SSD connected.

Don’t know if it’s a bad motherboard or if the drives went bad on me.

Ordered a new M.2 to put in it when it comes in and see if it allows me to configure it. Cheaper than the MB replacement/upgrade.

I’m on a 7th gen i5 and although it’s an 1151 socket, I don’t think it’ll be compatible with newer boards. The rest of the build should be fine.

just out of curiosity, did you notice if it ever showed your m.2 drives in the bios originally? I see there are some posts about asus boards not showing them in the bios for some people. Anyway, I'm not sure if you know which one has the OS installed? Can you remove the other and see if anything changes?

Other things I'd test would be pulling the battery and clearing the cmos/jumper. I'd then try to boot with just the single drive. I've also had weird things happen by just pulling the ram and reseating it, or just booting off 1 stick if you have multiple. Booty had a situation where he pulled the graphics card out / cleared cmos/battery and he was able to get a machine to boot. Sometimes going with the bare minimum of hardware to get it to boot once can solve weird things. It's odd that it's not showing any m.2. I can't imagine both going bad at the same time, so that's why I was curious if you'd ever seen them show in bios previously.

+1 to disconnecting both drives and then trying to connect one drive at a time to see if they work.

100% both drives didn't fail at the same time unless a power surge or something.

I did see some weird **** with the booting issue I had a few months back. [emoji2369]

Personally I've never deal with m.2 drives yet. My board doesn't have the ports. We have them in our new PCs at work but no issues so haven't had to troubleshoot them.

I have it taken apart and gonna try a 2.5 inch SDD that I know can be booted as it has OS. Ordered a 500 GB M.2 to see if the chips are the problem or if it’s the mobo.

I feel like the motherboard has been giving me grief lately on the USB front.

Lol. $79 and free returns. If it doesn’t fix the problem, then it goes back and then I go with a new motherboard.

New mobo would require new processor. $400 to do that because I lose support for the 7th gen Intel in an mini-ITX form factor. Luckily the DDR4 RAM and other components will transfer straight across.

A replacement is like $400-$500. $250 for used one from China on eBay...yikes

Find me a 7th gen 1151 socket mini-ITX mobo with 2 M.2 slots.

I wanted to get y'alls opinion, I've currently got a mac mini I've been trying to use for my photo editing but it's really slow for what I'm trying to do. Would you rather build a system or buy something that is already configured to what I would need. I'm not exactly sure where to start with what all I need.

Back