Official Computer Talk Thread

Win7 Pro. The "dos" looking screen is all black and just the _ blinking.

Downloading the program now.

Quick scan results....

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.61.0.1400
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: v2012.04.19.01

Windows 7 Service Pack 1 x86 NTFS
Internet Explorer 8.0.7601.17514
Santiago :: SANTIAGO-PC [administrator]

4/18/2012 11:36:59 PM
mbam-log-2012-04-18 (23-36-59).txt

Scan type: Quick scan
Scan options enabled: Memory | Startup | Registry | File System | Heuristics/Extra | Heuristics/Shuriken | PUP | PUM
Scan options disabled: P2P
Objects scanned: 199947
Time elapsed: 3 minute(s), 47 second(s)

Memory Processes Detected: 0
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Detected: 0

Registry Keys Detected: 0

Registry Values Detected: 0

Registry Data Items Detected: 0

Folders Detected: 0

Files Detected: 0

(end)

I'm seeing a ton of things in search engines about windows7 blinking cursor at boot..
Are there any external hard drives, flash drives, usb drives hooked up? I'm seeing people talk about issues with that. They unhooked them, and it was able to boot normally after. Some it had no effect, and the had to do a startup repair.

Do you have a windows disc?

How to Boot to the System Recovery Options in Windows 7
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/668-system-recovery-options.html

Option 2 ^^ startup repair - would be the option you want.

=====

if you don't have the disk - you can create one
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/2083-system-repair-disc-create.html

I noticed I had my camera card plugged up to the card reader. I will shut it down tonight and see what happens tomorrow.

Dell got a bad rap a few years back, which is still haunting them, because they used a different supplier for capacitors. They got a really good deal it seemed on price but, the manufacturer had copied the internal chemical makeup of the caps and since those are highly guarded industrial secrets they were off just a little. So.... Dell loads several thousands into hundreds of computers and everything seems fine... until caps start melting, bursting, destroying other parts, and so on. It generally took a couple years so people were out of warranty and super pissed at Dell. Many of the Dell horror stories can be attributed to said incident although its not a widely known story.

If you recognize this you are a nerd.
cs+1.3.jpg

Dell got a bad rap a few years back, which is still haunting them, because they used a different supplier for capacitors. They got a really good deal it seemed on price but, the manufacturer had copied the internal chemical makeup of the caps and since those are highly guarded industrial secrets they were off just a little. So.... Dell loads several thousands into hundreds of computers and everything seems fine... until caps start melting, bursting, destroying other parts, and so on. It generally took a couple years so people were out of warranty and super pissed at Dell. Many of the Dell horror stories can be attributed to said incident although its not a widely known story.

I heard it was industrial sabotage of sorts. The company that made the good caps knew there were going to be attempts to steal the formula for the electrolytic compound so they set it up so a bad formula was believed to be the good one and stolen instead. Either way, end result is someone made the caps cheaper thinking they had it right when they didnt.

To Dell's credit and for what it's worth, they extended the warranty on all of those machines that had that issue and still accepted replacements even after the extension. The majority of the machines affected were OptiPlex workstations, largely purchased by businesses.

is it counterstrike? - I've never played, so I may be wrong

Yes, it's Counter-Strike. Not sure if that makes you a nerd so much as it makes you old.

Comp booted up fine today with out the card in the slot. It didn't use to do that.....

see what it does over the coming weeks, or plug it back in to see if it fails, ... or if it's a random thing

Comp booted up fine today with out the card in the slot. It didn't use to do that.....
The way most computers work today, the BIOS provides you an option to boot from USB or other Removable Devices. If the BIOS sees an external USB drive or media card installed AND that drive or card is "bootable", usually meaning one or more INI files made it's way onto it, then the computer will see that device as a boot option. Since most computers will put that USB drive or media card on top of the boot list order, meaning it'll pick that device first instead of the local hard drive, the machine will try to boot from it. If it turns out to not be a bootable device, then the computer won't know what to do next and will stall at a blinking cursor.

It happens to me quite often, so I've seen it a million times. Why it's suddenly doing that now is beyond me, but it's possible some random hidden INI files made it's way onto the card recently.

There is nothing in the card. I only have pics in the card and they get deleted off the card once they are put onto the comp. Boot sequence is always 1. hard drive 2. CD 3. USB.

I will double check the card but there should only be one folder since the camara adds a folder where the pics get dumped into.

There is nothing in the card. I only have pics in the card and they get deleted off the card once they are put onto the comp. Boot sequence is always 1. hard drive 2. CD 3. USB.

I will double check the card but there should only be one folder since the camara adds a folder where the pics get dumped into.
The files are usually hidden, and even though your BIOS is set the USB to #3, it can easily bump it to #1 on it's own without any intervention...it just depends on the type of BIOS.
I'm not saying this is the problem for you, but it's a well-known one that you can try ruling out by keeping that card out of the reader for awhile.

OMG! so your saying the comp is making it's own decisions? would you know if my comp is 3 laws safe? connects to skynet?

:giggle:

Back