Official Computer Talk Thread

So my MacBook Pro is getting ready to take a dump soon. It's 5+ Years old at this point and I've revived it twice now. I haven't started my desktop in almost eight years. Think it's time for something new. I might jump on this basic build I came across surfing the web. Thoughts?

http://www.pcgamer.com/best-gaming-pc/

No clue if it's overkill for surfing the web or multitasking, but if it is, speak to me like a child. Please. I haven't been in this space in over a decade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

So my MacBook Pro is getting ready to take a dump soon. It's 5+ Years old at this point and I've revived it twice now. I haven't started my desktop in almost eight years. Think it's time for something new. I might jump on this basic build I came across surfing the web. Thoughts?

http://www.pcgamer.com/best-gaming-pc/

No clue if it's overkill for surfing the web or multitasking, but if it is, speak to me like a child. Please. I haven't been in this space in over a decade.

If you want some parts, I have a PC that is being retired. SSD, power supply, fans, other parts if you wanna save some dough.

That build is really kind of suited for a gaming pc. If you're not really into gaming, you can save quite a bit by going with a different graphics card. That's like $450 of that build according to the article. You don't need a video card that crazy for doing just web browsing and whatnot. I'll let others give you suggestions on video cards for your needs (if you don't game)

If you want some parts, I have a PC that is being retired. SSD, power supply, fans, other parts if you wanna save some dough.

Send me a Hangouts message later with the parts you have laying around ;)

That build is really kind of suited for a gaming pc. If you're not really into gaming, you can save quite a bit by going with a different graphics card. That's like $450 of that build according to the article. You don't need a video card that crazy for doing just web browsing and whatnot. I'll let others give you suggestions on video cards for your needs (if you don't game)

^ What he said.

You can get a GTX 1050 for like $100-$150.

Appreciate it, guys. I'll probably dumb it down on a few items. Not buying anything quite yet seeing as how I don't even have a desk or chair.

https://pcpartpicker.com/

^ that's a good resource to use. I can't click on your link above (gaming sites blocked at work).

Yeah, that's the one I've been using. Such an awesome site. Been looking through a bunch of builds. lifehacker has three build links from $300-$600-$1200. I went ahead and tinkered with a few bits and got the $1200 Build down below $1000.

Computer noob here! What's a good laptop out of the box for a budget of around 700? Can you give me some recommendations?

Computer noob here! What's a good laptop out of the box for a budget of around 700? Can you give me some recommendations?

Hello Computer n00b! :wave: :giggle:

Can you let us know what you are using it for?

- Basic needs (email, typing documents, social media, music)?
- Gaming?
- Video/Picture editing?

Thanks

Hello Computer n00b! :wave: :giggle:

Can you let us know what you are using it for?

- Basic needs (email, typing documents, social media, music)?
- Gaming?
- Video/Picture editing?

Thanks

mostly work and occasional gaming. I play Starcraft 2, Street Fighter 5 on and off.

mostly work and occasional gaming. I play Starcraft 2, Street Fighter 5 on and off.

It looks like those two games don't require a lot but let me see what's in the $700 price range. I'm sure others will chime in later in the day.

Hmmm. Do I throw a few bux at a NAS? I only have 1 TB currently installed on my little box. It would be nice to use those bigger drives I have and proof myself against data failure. Plus, I got a lot of parts laying around....could do a custom NAS.

can't go wrong with a nas setup.

Hp keylogger found in audio driver. If you own a hp laptop, I'd take a look.

https://thenextweb.com/insider/2017...vers-with-a-built-in-keylogger/#.tnw_kuE7eiLs
hp keylogger "fix" -

===========
I just added a registry key that will prevent it from ever being able to run on my computer, even manually:

1. Start the Registry Editor (regedit).
  2. In the Registry Editor, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\currentversion\image file execution options.
  3. Right click on image file execution options > New > Key
  4. Name the new key MicTray.exe
  5. Right click new MicTray.exe key > New > String value
  6. Name the new value debugger
  7. Set new "debugger" string value data to: devenv /debugexe
It forces any .exe file named MicTray or MicTray64 to go through a debugger and this causes it to fail. This is also how I nerfed the GWX.exe that would auto upgrade computers to Windows X.

*edit to add - If you are running Windows 64-bit then steps 4 and 5 should be:

4. Name the new key MicTray64.exe

5. Right click new MicTray64.exe key > New > String value

To check your version of Windows the shortcut is to hold down your Windows Key and press Pause (Break) or in Windows 8.1 and 10 you can right click on the start button and click on System. In previous versions you can right click on Computer or My Computer and click on Properties to find out what version of Windows you are running.

Back