Official Gun Thread

Your opinion on what I should get as a first gun
all depends on what you are looking for, home defense, everyday carry, just have one to go out and shoot for fun, or competitive shooting. best bet if you are looking at handguns would be finding a range that allows rentals and find something that is comfortable in your hands. i am a glock guy, i have giant hands and they just fit me well. you can not go wrong with glock, smith and wesson, springfield. they all have their positives and negatives and again it just comes down to what is comfortable. if you are looking for a handgun i would probably stay with 9mm, its cheap reliable and has the stopping power if it is needed also it wont have a big kick if your lady wants to learn to shoot. as far as rifles that again comes down to what feels right in your hands and what feels right when you shoulder the firearm. 223/556 is going to be your cheaper round in this category and it is easily obtainable in sporting good stores nationwide as its a popular hunting round.

all depends on what you are looking for, home defense, everyday carry, just have one to go out and shoot for fun, or competitive shooting. best bet if you are looking at handguns would be finding a range that allows rentals and find something that is comfortable in your hands. i am a glock guy, i have giant hands and they just fit me well. you can not go wrong with glock, smith and wesson, springfield. they all have their positives and negatives and again it just comes down to what is comfortable. if you are looking for a handgun i would probably stay with 9mm, its cheap reliable and has the stopping power if it is needed also it wont have a big kick if your lady wants to learn to shoot. as far as rifles that again comes down to what feels right in your hands and what feels right when you shoulder the firearm. 223/556 is going to be your cheaper round in this category and it is easily obtainable in sporting good stores nationwide as its a popular hunting round.
Hand gun would be a 9mm I'm thinking and mainly range shooting but also some carry here and there.

Rifle, range shooting as I don't hunt maybe down the road getting in to competitive shooting but I love bolt action.

What do you own if you don't mind my asking? Apart from the glock

Last edited:
i have a glock 19, glock 43, smith and wesson m&p ar15, palmetto state ar10, beretta silver pigeon over under, beretta 12 gauge auto loader, beretta 12 gauge pump, scar 16s, ummmm a 44 mag revolver lol, more 12 and 20 gauge shotguns, a ruger 38 special, some 22 long rifles, 30-30, thats all i can think of at the moment heh

Agree with br3tt. A lot of ranges have rental guns you can shoot to test. See what feels right in the hand, because they vary in grip size. Springfield xd line, glock, & smith and wesson all are very popular & easy to get replacement/upgraded parts if you want to do that down the road. I'd try one of those 3 as your first to see what you think. Almost every model from those companies can be purchased in a 9mm, and then you can pick the capacity of ammunition and the physical size of the barrel. You can usually get most in a 5" down to conceal size.

What I think I'll do is just go down to my local shop and get hands on with a few guns then

The ranges here all have rentals available too.

Knob Creek hosts the machine gun shoot every year... insanity..... pics from their website

homepic-300x169.jpg

machine11.jpg

machine5.jpg

29.jpg

Heck yeah! They supposedly are building or have a "tactical experience" available if you ask or know the right people. Apparently its one of those military training style ply wood villages you have to move through and shoot the bad guys when they pop up. Something like this but I'm sure less professional looking.

110124-M-4669D-002.jpg

you should look into 2 gun comps

Subscribed.

Went to the gun range last night (2nd time ever) with a friend (old guy from church actually). He let me shoot his .22 rifle, .22 handgun and a 38 revolver. I'm new to this so hope I said it correctly.

Not sure about in other states but here in MD we have to get the HQL. A couple hour course is required.

I definitely want to shoot some other guns to see what I like. I liked the revolver the best last night. [emoji106]

Revolvers tend to work well for people with smaller hands since the handles tend to be less diameter (versus non-revolvers). A lot just depends on what feels good in your hand. A lot of ranges will let you "rent" their guns to shoot, and that allows you to test a bunch of things.

Revolvers tend to work well for people with smaller hands since the handles tend to be less diameter (versus non-revolvers). A lot just depends on what feels good in your hand. A lot of ranges will let you "rent" their guns to shoot, and that allows you to test a bunch of things.

Well I don't have smaller hands. I will definitely test some different handguns to see how I like them. I think handgun wise I've only shot the .22 and 38 revolver.

I want to shoot a 9mm since I know a good bit of people that have them.

Well I don't have smaller hands. I will definitely test some different handguns to see how I like them. I think handgun wise I've only shot the .22 and 38 revolver.

I want to shoot a 9mm since I know a good bit of people that have them.
9mm is what I'm going with when I buy my gun. Ammo is cheap and seems to be easily available. Has enough stopping power to be a carry weapon if that's your use. 9mm also isn't a huge round so there isn't much kick.

9mm is what I'm going with when I buy my gun. Ammo is cheap and seems to be easily available. Has enough stopping power to be a carry weapon if that's your use. 9mm also isn't a huge round so there isn't much kick.

MD is very strict for gun laws.

"Maryland is not a traditional open carry state. However, should you be wealthy or connected enough to get one of the rare Maryland carry permits, Maryland law makes no distinction between open and concealed carry. But this would almost certainly result in the loss of the permit."

lol @ "wealthy or connected enough"

MD is very strict for gun laws.

"Maryland is not a traditional open carry state. However, should you be wealthy or connected enough to get one of the rare Maryland carry permits, Maryland law makes no distinction between open and concealed carry. But this would almost certainly result in the loss of the permit."

lol @ "wealthy or connected enough"
wtf

Back