Photos Official retrofit thread (pics and specs)

:drooling:

IMG_1749.jpg

IMG_1747.jpg

IMG_1748.jpg

joon joon - are the fogs lexus is300 projectors?

Nice setups, joon joon!

My latest retro is being built at the moment for our new DD.

FX-R 3.0 bi-xenon projectors, Apollo shrouds, 5000k bulbs & ballasts from theretrofitsource. I may end up going with the OSRAM Xenarc 66240's if I sell some stuff off the M3, but morimoto will suffice if not.
Pics in a few weeks.

'95 EX coupe - TYC clear lens headlights, Infiniti FX projectors with clear lenses, Matsushita ballasts, Philips 85122+ bulbs

4388825580_062a463f72_b.jpg

4388059645_43455b2080_b.jpg

4449753458_c2aa6b568e_b.jpg

4448980131_f7083daa26_b.jpg

'12 Si sedan - Morimoto Mini H1 projectors (no high beam relay harness), Morimoto 3five 4300K bulbs, DDM Tuning 55w ballasts (I'm not impressed with the light output, but it this retrofit was cheap and SUPER easy)

ee675986.jpg

6b6eeae1.jpg

8e42d311.jpg

i would stay away from 50w on the minis.. the projectors are small and dont disappeat the heat well.. the minis have problems of the chrome bubbling and shrouds melting if you have 50w ballasts..

I think I'm gonna bite the bullet and go with some Matsushita ballasts with the D2S to AMP harnesses. I'm really unimpressed with the output of the DDM ballasts, and if they're gonna cause problems in addition to not performing well, I might as well get something that I know works.

I think they are slightly better, but that's my personal opinion.
I can certainly appreciate an opinion, especially one from a driver such as yourself. Would you mind stating, and perhaps elaborating on, any reasons as to why you find the Morimoto's to be better than the Matsushita's? I understand that they're potted already (although I've read somewhere that the Matsushitas are potted as well) and they are significantly cheaper and have a comparable heat up time. I'm more concerned with light output. I know that my FX projectors were of better quality than my mini H1's, but I really think the lack of output from my current retrofit is the result of a poor quality ballast (the DDM product), which, in all honestly, is worth about what I paid for it. If the Morimoto ballasts are equal in output when compared to the Matsushita, I would much rather save the money and hassle of getting the Matsushita ballasts.

Morimotos are probably the best aftermarket ballasts out there.. warm up time is close to oem.. oem usually is best but morimotos are really close

Okay, you convinced me. I just ordered a set of the 35 watt Morimotos from TRS. They should be here in a couple days. Andrew at TRS said that their 35w ballasts outperform the DDM 55w units and so far TRS hasn't steered me wrong, so between you guys and their word, I figure I will probably be much happier with the Morimotos.

Yeah ive only had one set of ballasts for a customer and trs of course helped me out.. i always deal with matt, the owner, and everyone at trs.. morimoto ballasts run pretty much at the rating they are rated at.. the 35w run at 35 and the five5 run at 50w.. the five5 arent 55w, that is just the name.. they are rated at 50w.. other aftermarket ballasts run less than what they are rated.. ive seen threads that show ddm 35w ballast run closer to 30w not 35.. their 55 is closer 45ish.. their bulbs also suck.. 5000 and 6000 are the same bulb.. they arent different..

Back