Oil change 10,000 miles

Sinub

Southern California
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
Coupe
Okay so what's up with the 10,000 miles oil change. Why so high? I don't get it. I don't really see why its so high now especially since we are using thin as oil!! 5w-30!! Not only is that thin and not protect our engines as much but it when it wears down it will only get thinner won't it? Especially after 10,000 miles. What kind of "New technology do our engines have that allows us to go do long without an oil change??

Oil life monitors tell you when to change. They monitor driving habits, and indicate accordingly. Go by them. Also, don't forget to check the level periodically, and add when needed.

Oil life monitors tell you when to change. They monitor driving habits, and indicate accordingly. Go by them. Also, don't forget to check the level periodically, and add when needed.
That's What I do but I'm curious to know why Honda recommended 10,000 and would it know what type of oil I'm using, like synthetic or conventional

I'm not seeing what you're seeing ............ I'm seeing 5000m intervals.

As for why the intervals are getting longer on vehicles now days, is the oils are that much better than they were, and so are the engines, and the gas additives.

Back in the late 50's I didn't dare go past 2500 without changing the oil, it still sticks in my head, but being curious like you I've been following the subject for years, and that is what it boils down to, also a very big change from my past is that changing the oil filter every other time doesn't hack it any more either, and Frams are out(rated on a very low scale). These listed below are on the top of the oil filter list.

Purolator Pure One ; Mobil-1

I'm not seeing what you're seeing ............ I'm seeing 5000m intervals.

As for why the intervals are getting longer on vehicles now days, is the oils are that much better than they were, and so are the engines, and the gas additives.

Back in the late 50's I didn't dare go past 2500 without changing the oil, it still sticks in my head, but being curious like you I've been following the subject for years, and that is what it boils down to, also a very big change from my past is that changing the oil filter every other time doesn't hack it any more either, and Frams are out(rated on a very low scale). These listed below are on the top of the oil filter list.

Purolator Pure One ; Mobil-1
Yea im not going 10k changes. I do it at every 5kish and that means my second one this week coming up, though I'm going to use 10w-30 for more protection since I don't like the thin 5w oil

Yea i'm not going 10k changes. I do it at every 5kish and that means my second one this week coming up, though I'm going to use 10w-30 for more protection since I don't like the thin 5w oil

Well, these lower wt. oils aren't as bad as everyone thinks, even though the reason for going to them is for better mpg , but they didn't just say hey , lets run thinner oil......... The two numbers do different things, 30 isn't really different and with the closer tolerances of engines now days 40 and 50 seem like grease now........But, the "0" wt. or "5" wt. is the one that's bugging everyone(had me too at 1st)....... The way it was 'splained to me was, the oil only stays at zero when it's cold (temp before starting). So that makes the oil circulate faster which is the worst time for a engine, and the "0" wt. actually helps in that time zone, and as the oil heats up it's running at 30 , so back to normal............. So the new thing is thinner starting oil before the 30 kicks in.

That's my opinion, and I'm sticking to it.......... :D

Yea im not going 10k changes. I do it at every 5kish and that means my second one this week coming up, though I'm going to use 10w-30 for more protection since I don't like the thin 5w oil

I would be concerned about potential warranty issues by not using the recommended type of oil. I really do not understand why you would want to second guess professional designer/engineers as it is.

I would be concerned about potential warranty issues by not using the recommended type of oil. I really do not understand why you would want to second guess professional designer/engineers as it is.
That seems to be a common thing, I've noticed in both forums(my MC forum as well), Both oil and gas DIY'ers want to find the better path from the designers/engineers. Look at the telegraph and Morris-code , ppl wanted to better it and came up with the telephone, but kept messing with it, now we're back to texting......... :D

Last edited:
Just seems to make more sense to me during hard driving, really concerns me how much its actually protecting my engine.

Not sure where you're getting 5w30 oil suggestions??.... the manual states 0w20 for the 2012 civic.
///

oil.jpg

Each person you ask will have their own opinion on when you do your changes. The oil life meter does not sample your oil, or determine if it's gone bad. It monitors revolutions and calculates oil life % left. They say to change it at 15% oil life left. You're not going to hurt the car by changing it prior to that. There are individuals who submitted their oil for analysis after 10k miles, and they were instructed to go 12k miles on their next change and report back. (granted those intervals were after their initial oil change - links below for examples)

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2039741
here is an 05 civic si with a 10k mile interval change on penzoil platinum.

another 10k mile interval
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1710108
penzoil platinum

Mobil 1 5w20 9300 miles Honda Civic Si K20A3
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=818480&fpart=1

0w-20 - 02 Honda Civic Si K20A3, 10k miles
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=240214&page=1

=======

Regardless of what you choose to do, check your oil levels. There are a handful of users who are burning around a quart per 1k miles.
http://9thcivic.com/forum/threads/excessive-engine-oil-consumption.6451/

Sorry I was guessing the 5w30 from the top of my head, though of course I would have checked the proper oil before an oil change

My Honda MC manual says every 8000 miles per oil change....... and ppl never went long periods on mc's........ times are changing.

Its just that 10k seems alot to mee for such thin oil and not changing it for 10 k for a long time, how much is it really protecting my engine? especially for that long and if you are driving it hard. and since these new advances in motor oil does that mean older cars can now go longer without an oil change too? Because I truly do think 10k is a lot and the reason I say 10k is because that's what the Honda salesman said how long every oil change is, is it a reason to have you come in 8 years later for a brand new car because your engine got ruined?

Also I remembered seeing somewhere where a car one year had a certain type of motor oil and then bam the next year or so(same engine in the car still) they changed the type of oil the vehicle requires so ??? I'll try to look where I found this to show you guys

I don't understand why it's such a big problem. The manual clearly says use 0w-20 so you should use it. If you don't want to then that's your choice but if your engine gets f***ed up then you only have yourself to blame.

I think that the old 3000 mile change was a waste of money.I'm going to use an analogy here so bear with me....I worked for EAS sport supplements many years ago and they basically brought creatine to the masses,one of the first instructions was to " load" it by taking massive amounts for a short time,in reality your body will only assimilate a amount much lower so basically you were sending the "loading" right through your body... Pissing it away per say.It was told to me to push this process at all shows,demos,encounters with fellow workout people,etc... Well it was marketing and a way to sell much,much,more at a very premium price mind you( they had the market for a long time).now a lot of people in the industry dealing with oil say the 3000 mile oil change is too,a big waste of oil and money and most say 5000 is the new interval recommended. I've gone with that on my last 3 cars and all have been perfect,although I will go with the MM on my si since I will use premium synthetic oil only and will use the recommended OW 20,at the price of amsoil premium synthetic,i wont be throwing money away unnessecerally,ive always used recommended oils for everything I have owned,except for the mustang 2 I owned that needed a quart with every 10 in gas(74 what a bute). Then it was strictly " bottom shelf". It is also environmentally friendly to change when needed,if that matters to some.. Just my two cents-.

Good info ^

Technology has come a long way.

Thinking that new oil and new engines can't be any different is like thinking that my cell phone can't really do anything better than the one I had 10 years ago.

Just like cell phone and computer technology has really advanced and it's very apparent, the technology in our engines and oil has gotten much better over the years too.

I trust what the manual says and change my oil as soon as the iMID tells me too.

I also go by my I mid but I also go by 5kish change but its Just a little scary on the long period of intervals especially with thin oil

I'm going at 7500 mile intervals. It gets the oil life indicator to 30% and is about as far as I want to go.

I did 4000-4500 mile intervals on my previous vehicle. UM said to do it every 5000 miles.

Back