Oil Filter Comparisons By Brand

webby

Administrator
Admin
Toys For Tots
Interesting Read About Oil Filters

went out and cut open just about every brand of oil filter to see the construction and provide feedback on their quality.
http://www.minimopar.net/oilfilters/

conclusion at the end:

Conclusions

One thing should be pretty clear if you have made it through this entire article. While there are dozens of oil filter brands out there, there are only a few actual manufacturers. Most filters you see on the shelf are sold by companies that don't actually make oil filters. The exceptions are Baldwin/Hastings, Champ, Donaldson, Purolator, and Dana/WIX. Those are actual manufacturers and you can be fairly certain of what is inside the can. Although Fram hasn't made filters in decades, it seems that the brand is tied closely enough to Honeywell that you can be pretty sure about what is in the orange can (for better or for worse). Most other brands contract one of these companies to make filters for them. They seem to change from time to time, so one has to be vigilant when purchasing one. See the overview page for a quick manufacturer reference including images of their backplates.

If you want to hear my opinion take a look at the Oil Filters Revealed: Opinions and Recommendations page. Which filter is the best? There is no easy answer to that one. It depends on what kind of oil you use and how much you are willing to spend.

http://www.minimopar.net/oilfilters/opinions.html

Filters To Avoid:

http://www.minimopar.net/oilfilters/opinions.html#avoid

Last edited:
Glad i seen this, I am looking at changing my oil soon on my 07 Si and not wasn't sure what to go with. Also not sure what oil I am going to go with, I have always had it done at the dealer. I have around 97K miles.

• Staff
haha - in my opinion, one oil filter change won't make a huge difference in the scope of things. Some brands may just perform better than others.

gitrdone - nothing wrong with using honda filters/oil. Dealerships sell both, if you'd like to use them.

I may end up sticking with the honda stuff as thats whats been used since new. Also I am not sure what to do about when I get into higher rpms it smokes some.

Yeah I meant brand

5w30 for the si. I have used Mobil 1, Pennzoil platinum, or amsoil every 7500 since new. It still doesn't use any oil between changes and I just did my 27.5k mile change. Walmart for the oil. About 22 for the gallon jug of Pennzoil or mobile 1

I will say the bypass is better and has larger holes on the wix vs the Honda filter.
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

I may end up sticking with the honda stuff as thats whats been used since new. Also I am not sure what to do about when I get into higher rpms it smokes some.

Yeah I meant brand

Have you cleaned or changed your PCV valve?

You seeing white smoke come out your exhaust?

Not the greatest DIY, but at least it lets you know where it is. If you have ran dyno oil the whole time, you prob need to replace it. Normally every 30 or 60k, I think. I would start with that.

Now back to the OP.

No need to apologize...hope its an easy fix.

Just changed my pcv today. Glad you reminded me. I have had it a few months, but just never changed it. It? Was a little sticky when shaking it, so it needed done.

The other thing to ensure is that your oil filters have the bypass valve in them. If not it will build more pressure than it should. Some of the cheaper filters don't have them. I always use wix or Napa gold(same filter). It has a better bypass and larger bypass holes than the Honda filter.

Changed the pcv valve and the old one moved fine so I don't think that was my problem. But I also haven't noticed it smoking anymore.

Back