oil filter safety plate cover

scott

New York
Vehicle Model
EX
Body Style
coupe
I noticed when changing my oil you have to remove a safety plate in order to access the filter. This is a bit of a pain and would like to just leave it off the next time I change the filter.... any thoughts? What does that damn thing really do anyway?

honda_9th_gen_civic_si_k_series_turbo_kit_2012_content_5.jpg

only pic I've seen on the si is this for the oil filter location .....................^^^ not sure about the plate?

from a vid - showing subframe design you can see the filter?

filter.png

My dealer offered my first oil change for free, so I asked if I could watch and that's when I saw the tech had to remove an under carrage cover plate (four screws) in order to access the oil filter. I probably should have asked him if this was really needed, but assumed a Honda tech would always say yes it's there for a reason.

Couldn’t find a pic ... did grab this excerpt from another 9thgen forum regarding the oil change: Step 4 references the cover.

Oil Change DIY for 1.8L (DX, LX, EX)
First off I do not have any pictures. I went to use my camera and the batteries were dead. I was already starting to do the change when I noticed. I did not go buy new batteries. Pictures really aren't needed though as it's easy.
You can find how to do an oil change in the manual, but thought I'd post the information here too.
Honda says you do not have to replace the oil filter every time, but I personally do. It will be up to you if you change it every time or not.

What you will need:
4 quarts of oil
oil filter
drain plug ring washer (You do not need to replace this every time, but is recommended)
filter wrench (65 mm)
17mm wrench
small flat head or phillips screwdriver
oil catch pan
funnel
paper towels, a rag, and gloves if wanted

Steps

1. First get your car warm which will make it easier for the oil to drain.

2. Use ramps, jack stands, or a lift to raise your car. (dont forget to apply the e brake for safety)

3. Pop your hood and open the oil cap on the top of the engine.

4. Remove the silver sheet metal panel from under the car. You will see the large flat silver screws that will need to be removed using a small flat head screwdriver.

I just realized you have the r18 engine. I was showing pics of the SI engine above. The r18 engine is a different situation. It has a panel over the oil filter area as you mentioned. It's my understanding that it's used to improve gas milage. Essentially it's used for smoothing out the air flow under the car by having the panel in place.

------

oil.png

ahhh .... very interesting ....improved gas mileage .... thanks again Webby!!

My BMW has one of those too....mine is missing, lol

It' really isn't that difficult to remove. You need a large phillips-head screwdriver (#4), and it slides in/out. webby is prbly correct it must help with aerodynamics.

Back