Oil leak on 2012 SI

None2Slow

Nampa, Id
Vehicle Model
Civic SI
Body Style
Coupe
I took my car in Saturday for an oil change at Tom Scott Honda. While I was looking at the new Accords, the service manager comes out and tells me I have an oil leak. No big deal I say, except that I only have 16,700 miles on the car. Whatever, its under warranty and I get a loaner. I only drive it maybe 1 day a week right now because the new Yamaha FZ-09 is SOOO much more fun. I know that cars are mechanical and stuff happens, but I thought stuff like this only happens to 'Merican cars. Oh and yes, I do know how to change my own oil (and build my own engines) just don't want to anymore. I take it in Wednesday and drop it off. They call later that day and tell me that its leaking at the oil pan. No probelm as they gave me a loaner, a 2014 Civic. That there becomes a problem. I keep wanting to push the clutch in, and this is the CVT model with the 1.8. I tried to get them to give me anything else. A 2012 Manual or a Pilot or a 2013 V6 Accord ( which I own already), or anything that doesn't suck. Nope, its all we have. So I let the wife use it to keep the miles off her Accord. Got the rental with 6 miles and turned it in with 98. I just kept riding my Yamaha FZ-09. Man, 3rd gear power wheelies are fun.

Did they say it was a gasket issue or damage to the oil pan itself?

They called and told me it was leaking from the gasket area. The pulled it apart, cleaned and replaced gasket/honda-bond and put it back together. Let it run for 60 minutes and and test drove it. No leaks. All for no charge. Other then the price of buying a new car I guess.

I recall one other person saying they had a leak around the gasket. Luck of the draw I guess. At least it wasn't something more major

I'm sure it was an issue with the Honda Bond on the original gasket.

I remember on two of my 8th gens I had a small leak from the valve cover gasket. One of them even had a leak from somewhere in the back of the block around 8k miles.

Glad to hear they are taking care of you

Back