Owner of a Brand New 2015 Civic DBP, need mod advice!

CivicJosh

Hey everyone, I'm new here and in my 2015 Civic EX-L, Dyno Blue Pearl! I love it.

Now I want to do a couple cheap mods just to spice up the look a little.

I have already purchased and am waiting on the following:
-Opt7 interior LED lighting kit
-Blue replacement dome/map/interior bulbs set
-Smoke headlight/taillight tint film
-Carbon fiber sheet stuff

I'm super excited about all of this stuff, although I'm not sure what I'll do with the carbon fiber stuff. Maybe apply it to the black side pillars / trim on the doors? How does that sound?

Now I'm looking to add a couple more things to complete the vibe. Here are the items I am considering, but I am looking for the cheapest options out there, and I may only be able to get 2 or 3 of them:
-Rear wing spoiler, OEM, Painted DBP
-Window visors
-Rear window roof spoiler visor thing
-Window tints (adhesive)

Which of these would be the best addition, or any other ideas?

Thanks!
-Josh

Attachments

• image1-7.JPG
    image1-7.JPG
    492.7 KB · Views: 46
  • image3.JPG
    image3.JPG
    598.5 KB · Views: 45
Welcome and congrats on the new car!

I would think about maybe wrapping some of the chrome trim in the carbon vinyl. Thats been a pretty popular choice.

get yourself some window tint, window visors, wing spoiler

car will look great with these. also what ^Nix said, wrap the chrome trim in your carbon sheet stuff. It looks better blacked out on the DBP cars

Red H, vtech stikers and a Si badge

Welcome...

H&R Springs and some wheel spacers will give the car a comfortable ride and good look.

Thanks guys!

Yes I think I probably will try to wrap the chrome accents in carbon fiber. Can I do it with them on the car, or is it possible to remove the accents in order to wrap them?

Now I'm looking for a cheap window tint that will last me around 3 years. Any recommendations? I don't really want to spend more than 60 bucks, 90 absolute max. Ideally, a precut film set, 50% front, 35% rear.

Any pictures of any of this stuff are greatly appreciated!

Definitely take the car to a shop for tint. Do it right, and do it once.

Do I really need to? I'm only going to have this car for 3 years, so it seems like as long as I can install it without bubbles, it shouldn't matter how long it lasts really. I could be wrong but this doesn't seem like the hardest thing ever. Has anyone here done it themselves?

have you ever installed tint? It's not that hard to get a crinkle/crease in it, and then it's done. Doing the rear window is by far the worst, and if you have no experience with it, it's just not as simple as pie. There are "pro" tint shops that even struggle to get all of the bubbles out of the tint. There are users here who've had to take their car back and have things redone due to issues. Those are people who do it for a living day in and out.

Yeah I think you're right. Seems like that's the general opinion so I don't trust myself doing it. I might have to cross window tint off my list at this point then... Unless it's possible to have this done for cheap, maybe less than like 80 bucks?

Any other cheaper mods I should consider?

Most decent shops with reputable film will run $150-225 depending on your location and competition.

I would suggest that if you can't spend the amount it would take to get tint done properly to not do it at all. A poor job looks worse than having none at all.

Alright well I went ahead and bought a bunch of stuff:
-Rear Wing Spoiler w/light, DBP painted
-"Quick Lip" all-sides trim kit (rubber)
-Splash guards
-HIC Black "Smoke" Side Visors
-Rear metal chrome & blue badge "1.8L"
-Silver 10.2" Side "i-VTEC SOHC" stickers
-Carbon fiber roof antenna fin
-Carbon fiber adhesive wrap
-Light smoke headlight/taillight tint film
-Blue LED map/dome/trunk lights
-OPT7 interior LED kit (4 strips, 72 LEDs)

You can probably see the direction I'm going with this. I'm not trying to rip off the Si people or the car, I'm trying to make my EX-L my own, make it unique. Hence the silver SOHC stickers, 1.8L badge, wing rather than si, and all the other cool stuff.

The only thing that has arrived so far is the blue LEDs. I installed them and they're really sweet. Will have pictures soon.

A couple questions I still have:

1. Is it easy enough to install the wing spoiler myself?

2. Do I need to / can I remove the exterior chrome trim to apply the carbon fiber wrap?

3. Would it be worth it to just get the rear passenger windows tinted professionally? I don't want to spend a whole lot.

Thanks everyone!

Welcome.
Check out the Dyno Blue Pearl thread for ideas.

http://9thcivic.com/forum/threads/dyno-blue-pearl.494/page-14

As others have said, you're better to pay for tint. Too difficult. Spoiler is doable. Check the DIY Section.
Not sure about how easy it is to remove the chrome piece. If it's easy then it would be better to remove it. It can be done without removing it, although that makes it more difficult. @xXCiviXx has added a lot of wrap and might be able to help you out.

If anything get the 3 rear windows tinted at a shop. You can buy tint for around $10 for a 1-2 window size. Then you can attempt to tint the front windows yourself. I have some experience with window tinting and vinyl wrapping. Window tint will take a couple tries to get used to the material. You have to remove small sections of tint at a time from the backing and apply wet with a soap/water or water/alcohol solution. Use a squeegee to apply the film (vinyl or tint) to windows or accessory pieces. By wet installing you have a small window of time where you can peel the film off before it dries to the surface, but be careful it doesn't stick to itself or anything else, especially dust or dirt because it will leave specs in between the film and surface which can cause it to tear. Once it's installed, that's when I cut the excess away so I don't have to worry about about being short in any areas.

As far as windows go, they're fairly easy if you have room and they're flat. Like the side windows. Winshield or rear windows have curves and limited space to work so it's really hard to do a good job.

For vinyl, you'll have to deal with curves in the surface you're wrapping. Heat gun or blow dryer will be your friend so you can stretch the material a bit so it forms around curves or edges. Depending on the piece it can be really tricky. I tried to wrap my coupe door grips for the interior and they turned out terrible so i ended up painting them instead. My lip turned out the best as far as wrapping, but it's still not as good as I want it and will end up re-wrapping it in the spring since there are some spots that I imagine will peel over the winter.

For tinting your lights, use a spray. Easier to use and won't crease or peel. Spray lightly and if it's too dark, you can wet sand to remove a little tint then polish for a shiny tinted finish

Back