Owner's Brief Review: 2013 Civic Si Sedan

Daniel Bivona

Pompton Plains, NJ
Vehicle Model
Si
Body Style
FB6
As a new owner and also newer to this site as of this week, I am just sharing the link to the review of my 2013 Civic Si Sedan which is posted to my site. Let me know your thoughts. Review also below. -DPB

After about 2 months of ownership (2,700 miles), I figure that it is about time to provide a brief review on my 2013 Civic Si Sedan. By way of a brief background, the original car that I owned from the time I received my license back in 2004 was a 1998 Honda Civic Lx, passed onto me by my father. After owning that for about 3 years, I decided that it was time to buy my first car, a 2007 United Gray VW Rabbit (when it was reintroduced into the market). After totaling the car in 2008 on icy highways roads, I was fortunate enough to purchase my aunt’s 2003 Toyota Rav4 since she happen to be looking to buy a new car of her own. I recently traded in the Rav4 with it’s 186K miles on it to Route 23 Honda in Wayne, NJ and in doing so, purchased my first Civic Si.

While it is argued by many automotive reviewers that for the price paid for a Civic Si, you might as well have gone with a turbo-charged competitor such as the VW GTI/GLI, Mazda Speed3, Ford Focus ST, Subaru WRX and so on, I tend to disagree with this myopic viewpoint. As any car enthusiast out there, my review like anyone else’s is based on opinion and is surely not projectable for the mass of Si owners. I certainly do not possess a deep technical acumen for automobiles as many others do, but nonetheless would like to provide some background on my ownership of the Si thus far.

Let me start by saying that I absolutely love naturally aspirated cars when they are paired with the right transmission. The high-revving thrill of the legendary VTEC engine is my own preference over any turboed vehicle in this class. Equipped with a 2.4L, 4cylinder, DOHC engine, the Si provides a punch when accelerating due to it’s increased torque from previous generation Sis and handles very tightly with the stock suspension (though aftermarket coils will provide for even better handling and aerodynamics).

The exterior of the car’s aesthetics, features a few character lines and a redesigned back end compared to the 2012 model. The sedan version received a taillight upgrade, although I do wish this car came with LEDs tails. The smoked taillights however get the job done and have been updated on my car with amber taillight overlays. My DIY can be found here. In addition to the amber vinyl overlays, I’ve also applied yellow vinyl to the fog lights which are standard on every Si.

The Si interior design is pretty unique and features mostly black hard plastics, patterned black cloth and soft touch materials. With a two tier dash displaying Honda’s iMID screen, a digital speedometer and VTEC shift indicator, there is plenty to monitor your vehicles performance in terms of MPG and power usage when accelerating (although not too practical), but nonetheless a little novelty. The Si has a really nice, leather-wrapped steering wheel with electronic-control integration to browse through sources. The car is comfortable to sit in and has Si-unique, bolstered seats which do a good job of keeping you in place especially around tight corners. The sedan has a decent amount of room to allow for four adults to sit quite comfortably inside the car also.

The main thing that is most enjoyable about the new Si and even the previous generation Sis is it’s solid transmission. The gearbox is an absolute joy to shift through and the clutch has a nice spring, not too heavy, not too light. It makes for quite the formidable combo and very smooth shifts.

At the end of the day, I am happy with the purchase and can say that if you are looking for a daily driver that provides both economy, reliability, and a sportier edge, this would be the car for you. For a more in depth and detailed review, I’ve included 2theRedlineLLC’s YouTube review of the Si for your viewing pleasure below. Thanks for reading. -DPB

Last edited:
Back