Paint Chip Question

carpenj

Monroe, LA
Vehicle Model
Honda Civic Si
Body Style
Sedan
Hey guys, I just got my car in mid-December and I have a piece of paint that has already come off the corner of the rear bumper. I know the picture is dark - I don't even know how this caught my eye at 6:45am but it did lol. The chip is on the top corner of the rear drivers side bumper behind the wheel. Is this normal? Is it something I should have a dealership look at instead of just throwing some touch up paint on it?

20140402_160545_zpsbc701486.jpg~320x480

I have the same issue, on my roof, sides, rear, and hood.

...Are you serious? I know Japanese cars have notoriously thin paint but this seems kind of ridiculous.

How does Honda touch up paint work? You just clean and dry the area, and apply it? One step process?

Is the paint removed all the way to the bare metal? If not I would tire to repair it with touch up paint. There are some new products out there that I would love to try.

...Are you serious? I know Japanese cars have notoriously thin paint but this seems kind of ridiculous.

How does Honda touch up paint work? You just clean and dry the area, and apply it? One step process?

Uhm yeah it looks to be down to the bare metal, and chips on my roof is what drives me nuts....idk how that even happens. I have thought a couple times about going to Honda and complaining about it heavily to see if they will maybe warranty it.

It's not to the bare metal on mine I guess, since the bumper is plastic. Chuckable, did they fix it for free?

Yes, they did. Though, it took two trips because the first time the job wasn't done very well. They may argue that it's road rash, but I doubt it on a new car unless you're driving on gravel or a similar surface.

Hey guys, I just got my car in mid-December and I have a piece of paint that has already come off the corner of the rear bumper. I know the picture is dark - I don't even know how this caught my eye at 6:45am but it did lol. The chip is on the top corner of the rear drivers side bumper behind the wheel. Is this normal? Is it something I should have a dealership look at instead of just throwing some touch up paint on it?

20140402_160545_zpsbc701486.jpg~320x480
I hate to complain, but your experience is perfectly normal for a 9th gen civic, so get used to it. Worst paint durability I've ever seen on a car. Period. In fact, my '04 Element with 140k miles had fewer chips and looked better than my '12 Si did with 140 miles on it. We're saving the planet with these water color paints and ultra-thin clears you know. And that's more important than my $23,000 car -- and yours!

Last edited:
I'm thinking about picking up a Dr. Color Chip kit and giving it a shot. Before I do - any opinions on it? If I end up getting it, it will probably be Monday afternoon.

It will just color the inside of the chip so it is less visible. It won't really fill it in as much as you might think. Just be prepared for that.

Back