Paint Dictionary (picture-heavy)

Would like to add that too much hardener in the bodyfiller can cause issues like the last photo, where the hardener stains the topcoat.

Orange peel = too high a temperature for the solvent system ( drying too fast ), wrong application tool ( fluid tip not matched to the viscosity of the material ), not enough reducer ( stick to the ratios provided by the paint companies ! ) etc.

Jason, where did you get this information? Most of it is very good but some is dated or could use additional info. :)

Actually sounds like it was written by a body man/shop.

Some info I though that should be added.

Tree Sap - Can often be removed with Isopropyl Alcohol. (Clay is expensive and sap will trash it quickly, IPA is cheap)

Paint Overspray - Newer technologies have recently come out, virtually making detailing clay obsolete as these new items reduce time, cost, and fatigue significantly. (NanoSkin AutoScrub pads, Prep Towel, Optimum Opti-Eraser...ect)

Rail Dust - Decon systems like ValuGard "ABC" kit and products like CarPro IronX remove these embedded iron particles rather then just shearing the top of them off with clay. They are much more effective and way less time consuming.

Water Spots - Spots which haven't etched into the paint yet can often be removed chemically with dedicated spot removed products (Chemical Guys Water Spot Remover)

Swirl Marks & White Spots (more commonly know as holograms of buffer swirls)

Cause: Age of paint has nothing to do with it...quote from one of my articles "Holograms, also known as buffer trails or buffer swirls, are formed by the improper use of a high speed rotary buffer, poor pad/product choice, or the overall lack of polishing knowledge. Holograms are simply micro scratches instilled into your vehicle’s paint by the fixed circular rotation of a rotary polisher combined with an aggressive pad and or polish."

Repair: Glazes don't repair, they fill and hide defects...quote from one of my articles "Proper polishing takes a lot of time, and when you are removing severe defects it will require many polishing steps to refine the paint into a hologram-free finish. If you currently have holograms in your vehicle’s paint, it’s either because the person polishing your vehicle didn’t follow up with the required refining steps needed, or they simply lacked the knowledge to properly use the tool. It’s not uncommon to find body shops, dealerships, or high-volume detail shops constrained by the amount of time they can spend on a vehicle. Because of this, rather than taking the required time needed to go through the proper refining steps, they simply choose to apply a glaze loaded with heavy fillers. These fillers hide defects like swirls, scratches and holograms and usually conceal them until you’ve washed the car a couple times."

Orange Peel - Just an added note...Orange peel on cars from the factory is 100% intentional.

intentional for what reason... hiding potential blemishes?

I don't personally have any pictures of this one, but another good paint defect to add would be improper blend repairs where the clear coat is failing. Blending of a vehicles clear coats is not a recommended repair process. Over a short period of time the "blend" line will show as a cloudy area due to lack of paint film build and sufficient UV blockers in the blend area.

Note: This is not the same as blending the color to smooth "transition" or fade to mask any minor difference in the shade of the color, followed by clearing the whole panel.

Jason, where did you get this information? Most of it is very good but some is dated or could use additional info. :)

Actually sounds like it was written by a body man/shop.
It's a re-creation of information provided by Honda back in the 1990's.
Some info I though that should be added.

Tree Sap - Can often be removed with Isopropyl Alcohol. (Clay is expensive and sap will trash it quickly, IPA is cheap)

Paint Overspray - Newer technologies have recently come out, virtually making detailing clay obsolete as these new items reduce time, cost, and fatigue significantly. (NanoSkin AutoScrub pads, Prep Towel, Optimum Opti-Eraser...ect)

Rail Dust - Decon systems like ValuGard "ABC" kit and products like CarPro IronX remove these embedded iron particles rather then just shearing the top of them off with clay. They are much more effective and way less time consuming.

Water Spots - Spots which haven't etched into the paint yet can often be removed chemically with dedicated spot removed products (Chemical Guys Water Spot Remover)

Swirl Marks & White Spots (more commonly know as holograms of buffer swirls)

Cause: Age of paint has nothing to do with it...quote from one of my articles "Holograms, also known as buffer trails or buffer swirls, are formed by the improper use of a high speed rotary buffer, poor pad/product choice, or the overall lack of polishing knowledge. Holograms are simply micro scratches instilled into your vehicle’s paint by the fixed circular rotation of a rotary polisher combined with an aggressive pad and or polish."

Repair: Glazes don't repair, they fill and hide defects...quote from one of my articles "Proper polishing takes a lot of time, and when you are removing severe defects it will require many polishing steps to refine the paint into a hologram-free finish. If you currently have holograms in your vehicle’s paint, it’s either because the person polishing your vehicle didn’t follow up with the required refining steps needed, or they simply lacked the knowledge to properly use the tool. It’s not uncommon to find body shops, dealerships, or high-volume detail shops constrained by the amount of time they can spend on a vehicle. Because of this, rather than taking the required time needed to go through the proper refining steps, they simply choose to apply a glaze loaded with heavy fillers. These fillers hide defects like swirls, scratches and holograms and usually conceal them until you’ve washed the car a couple times."

Orange Peel - Just an added note...Orange peel on cars from the factory is 100% intentional.
I'll be happy to add your suggestions to the original post.

you mean they don't want to pay a team of rasky's at the end of the paint process to make everything like glass?

Thanks Jason! :)

you mean they don't want to pay a team of rasky's at the end of the paint process to make everything like glass?

I would give a left nut and quit my FT job to be able to finish down exotic cars at the factory like that! :)

Most exotics are far from perfect btw....in fact most look terrible from the factory!

Back