Paint Sealant, Natural Wax, or Paint Coating - Which do you use?

I have the paint protection on my car, and when I was in the dealership they said to not put a wax on. What should I be using instead? Also, there is the 3M cover on the hood to protect from chips.

I was wanting to use - Nu Finish, the Once a Year Car Polish

When you say you have the paint protection on your car are referring to those paint protection packages the dealer sells you with a 5yr warranty? If so it's basically a wax/sealant itself. Read through the paper work you received with the package and it probably says something about having an annual re-application to keep the warranty valid.

If you already have the Nu Finish you can go ahead and use it, but there are better looking, longer lasting, and easier to use products out there, though most have to be ordered online.

Based on what you've written above it sounds like you want the paint to be protected but really don't want to spend much time cleaning and waxing the car, am I correct?

I think he has a 3m clearbra on the hood as well. I know I've seen videos where they say the clearbra can be cleaned/waxed just like your paint

I think he has a 3m clearbra on the hood as well. I know I've seen videos where they say the clearbra can be cleaned/waxed just like your paint

Yeah, there is a LOT of conflicting information on PPF and it drives me nuts. I've been polishing and applying waxes/sealants to PPF since the mid 90's and I've never seen any negative effects from it.

Spray sealants are great for use on PPF as you don't have to worry about getting build up on the film edges. ;)

Opti-Seal
http://www.detailedimage.com/Blackfire-M32/Crystal-Seal-Paint-Sealant-P616/4-oz-S1/
Crystal Seal (love this stuff!)

When you say you have the paint protection on your car are referring to those paint protection packages the dealer sells you with a 5yr warranty? If so it's basically a wax/sealant itself. Read through the paper work you received with the package and it probably says something about having an annual re-application to keep the warranty valid.

If you already have the Nu Finish you can go ahead and use it, but there are better looking, longer lasting, and easier to use products out there, though most have to be ordered online.

Based on what you've written above it sounds like you want the paint to be protected but really don't want to spend much time cleaning and waxing the car, am I correct?

Nu Finish is one that my father has used for years and years... I would be up for using something else if you are up for giving suggestions. As stated yes, I have the warranty paint protection, and clearbra on the hood.

Nu Finish is one that my father has used for years and years... I would be up for using something else if you are up for giving suggestions. As stated yes, I have the warranty paint protection, and clearbra on the hood.

Check the fine print and see what the warranty says. I don't think they would ever know if you waxed the car anyway but I'd still read the paper work if you're concerned about maintaining it.

I have no issue with Nu Finish, it's claim to fame was the recommendation from CR, which we all know can be taken with a grain of salt, and I don't recall any boutique waxes/sealants in the test either. ;)

My favorite sealant is Blackfire Wet Diamond, and the new Clear Seal listed above is great to and can be applied to the car in less than 10 minutes. IF you want something permanent, Opti-Coat/Guard is the way to go but it requires special application, which you can read more about here. All of these can be applied to the clear bra too.

I use Klass all in one (cleaner/wax) and Klass Sealant Glaze from Germany. I'm particularly impressed with how easy the wax is to use.... wipe on, wipe off. You don't even need to wait until it's dry. www.topoftheline.com

Zymol is also good... and Consumer Reports once rated it (Zymol) and Nu Finish #1.

I have found that combination of sealant and wax gives best outcome.

(list of what I did spans 2mons...I am not crazy enough to have done this in a weekend and I do not own a buffer).

- Wash
- Clay bar
- Klasse AIO
- Klasse SG x 3
- Chemical Guys Butter Wet Wax x2 (yesterday)
- Chemical Guys Slick detailer.

Pics:

Attachments

• IMG_20120820_072132_yep.jpg
    IMG_20120820_072132_yep.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20120820_072146.jpg
    IMG_20120820_072146.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 15
I took the pics with my phone and while the pics look awesome, they don't do it justice.

Personally I tend to use a sealant rather than wax mostly due to ease of application.

Anyone have any opinions?
I use Klasse. They have an AIO (good stuff if you need the cleaner) or just the Klasse sealant, both from Germany. Another excellent AIO product is Zymol. Those two have been around forever... although I am now trying Blackfire products. They have so many I'm confused.

I have the paint protection on my car, and when I was in the dealership they said to not put a wax on. What should I be using instead? Also, there is the 3M cover on the hood to protect from chips.

I was wanting to use - Nu Finish, the Once a Year Car Polish
NuFinish is a very solid product. Several years back it was rated #1 by Consumer Reports. Zymol is also in that same category.

Yeah, there is a LOT of conflicting information on PPF and it drives me nuts. I've been polishing and applying waxes/sealants to PPF since the mid 90's and I've never seen any negative effects from it.

Spray sealants are great for use on PPF as you don't have to worry about getting build up on the film edges. ;)

Opti-Seal

Crystal Seal (love this stuff!)
Whoa... $17.99 for 4 oz. What the heck does it do that a QD doesn't?

I have found that combination of sealant and wax gives best outcome.

(list of what I did spans 2mons...I am not crazy enough to have done this in a weekend and I do not own a buffer).

- Wash
- Clay bar
- Klasse AIO
- Klasse SG x 3
- Chemical Guys Butter Wet Wax x2 (yesterday)
- Chemical Guys Slick detailer.

Pics:
No, those are awesome pics. But if you mean the red doesn't photograph as well as black, I agree. Like you I have red, brand new as of July... . and yours is better. I even use those same products from Klasse and Chem Guys (but not THAT many times.. lol!) and yours is better.

that 4 ounces says it does 40 cars worth ^

also, here were the consumer reports results from 2011
http://pressroom.consumerreports.or...ts-ratings-of-liquid-and-paste-car-waxes.html
The Consumer Reports article looks like a re-test. The original CR wax reports I saw was much older, and one year (maybe 5 years ago) listed Zymol as best. Now they're saying NuFinish is better than Zymol. Interestingly, neither are a true "wax" but a polymer or acrylic of some kind, like Klasse. From my experience Klasse is an excellent AIO (all in one) that sells for between $30 - $40. Lasts about 3 months. I'm not sure about using just "1 oz per car" (per the Klasse instructions) but I've had the same bottle for years. Those with new cars can forgo Klasse AIO (that contains a cleaner) and just use the Klasse polish for between $20.00 - $25.00. That product (Klasse polish) lasts at least twice as long as the AIO, a good six months.... while claiming to last a year. For those who wax often, and weighing in at only $8.00, NuFinish would have to be the Best Buy.

Even though I fancy the better products, I'm in the camp that puts frequency (of washing and waxing) ahead of product quality.

Back