Peymons "new" 2012 LX

peymon.hashimoto

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407363340.937410.jpg
New to this forum and just bought a used 2012 honda civic lx with39k miles. I live in Cali and I was wondering if I can install a cold air intake??? Can I pass smog?

Reactions: Nix
Welcome to the forum! I moved your post from the other guys intro post thread and gave you your own. Hope you don't mind. I can change the title for you also if you would like.

There are lots of parts available for the R18 non-Si civics. If it passes smog in CA will depend on if the company has gotten it approved and has a CARB sticker on it. Stock you will obviously pass. Changing parts depends on local laws. CARB are some of the toughest in the country so be careful in the parts you choose.

Check out the vendor websites listed in the marketplace on here. They are all very reliable and will take good care of you. I believe @PRO Civic is located in CA. If you have smog/CARB questions about which intake to get I'm certain they could help point you in the right direction.

CARB legal 2012 LX intake by Injen from procivic:

http://www.procivic.com/pages-product_car_part_info/category-70_170/product-303/index.html

Last edited:
Congrats on the purchase and welcome to 9thCivic! To answer your question, most of the 2012+ Civic intake are CARB Pending, which means the manufacturer is the in the process of starting or filing the paperwork...we actually don't have a specific date when a CARB sticker will be available for the 2012+ non-Si Civic intakes. This is the website you'll want to check to verify CARB status:

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/devices/amquery.php

^Select the "Air Filter / Intake Modification" option and sort by Manufacturer. The Injen part # you're interested in is SP1571P or SP1571BLK. Neither of those are listed yet.

One thing to keep in mind is that new vehicles usually do not have to be smogged until they are 6 years old. From my experience, none of the new intake systems change the emissions profile of the vehicle at all. In fact, they can sometimes help with fuel economy a bit at light throttle. In my opinion, the CARB certification is mostly a paperwork issue now-a-days for intake systems. Just takes time and money for the manufacturer to file the paperwork.

Thanks everyone ;) wow a lot of info fast. So that answers my question. So I understand that a cold air intake will get me more power but will it help or hurt my mpg??

Back