Planet Honda, Union NJ - typical bait & switch

Karen Sternos

Here is the email I just sent to the GM:

On December 28th my husband was quoted a price of price of $14,500 for a 2012 Honda Civic LX with manual transmission over the phone by Alexandra. Since we had a great buying experience at Planet Honda in 2006 when purchasing our Odyssey, my husband and I drove 25 miles with the intention of buying the car. We test drove an automatic with Henry Li, our former salesman, and loved the car. We knew that the car with the manual transmission would be in later the next week.

When it was time to discuss payment, we were told that a $995 appearance package was a mandatory addition to the price. We explained that the price of $14,500 is what was quoted to us not $15,495. After two supposed attempts by Henry to get approval to drop the $995, he clearly indicated to us that the $995 would be dropped. We discussed payment options and Henry went to value our trade in.

Upon his return we were informed that the "big boss" will not allow the $995 to be dropped from the sale. We got up to walk out and he spoke to the "big boss" again who denied the request. I then spoke to the "big boss" himself, Eddie Amorin, and explained that I am a repeat customer and how disappointed I was that this wasn't working out. He told me that he never OK'd dropping the $995 and when I asked “So are you saying your sales person lied to me?” his reply was "You must have misunderstood." He then told me to get out of the dealership and that he didn't care about wasting 2 hours of my time.

The General Sales Manager has made buying a Honda as sleazy an experience as buying a Chevy

taken from another site - suggestions for contacting Honda - sorry to hear you got the runaround

1)First step is to make sure you have all the correct names (if you remember). File a complaint with American Honda. You can call and also write a letter about your experience. Honda really does listen and it will certainly be brought to his and the owner's attention if you are persistent.

By Mail
American Honda Motor Co., Inc.
Honda Automobile Customer Service
1919 Torrance Boulevard
Mail Stop: 500 - 2N - 7A
Torrance, CA 90501-2746

2)Find out who the owner is. Call the operator and ask. You might have to be a little stealth like about that. Find out how to contact the owner. If you have to, pretend you are sending a nice letter to the owner in regards to your great service at dealer X. If you can get a phone number to reach the owner, get that too. Even if all you get is voice mail, leave an urgent message letting the owner know you would like to discuss an important event that occurred at his/her dealership. This is where you might get the run-around, just depending on the owner. I have only worked for 2 dealerships ever and I know that if either of them were contacted in this type situation (my first owner was about as easy to get ahold of as George W) there would certainly be hell to pay when he got ahold of the GM.

3)Have a polite, to the point response prepared for when you do get ahold of the owner. Whether it is by phone or mail. Follow up after you make contact.

4)Most owners have enough money and might not be all that concerned about the loss of service business, but most owners truly care about their reputation and how their customers are treated. There is an age old saying that goes something like this: Have a happy customer, they will tell friends and family. Have an unhappy customer and they will tell everyone they meet/know.

Back