Popping noise when turning the steering wheel

hotshot

Let me preface by saying I just put lowering springs on. I don't think the brand name matters at this point

After we installed the springs, and aligned it, we took it on a test drive and there was a rubbing/popping sound when you turn the wheel (almost like the sound you hear in a cartoon when a character stretches out a band). It seems more pronounced when im stationary. It hasn't really gotten much worse, but it is getting rather annoying. A friend said I might have overtightened the strut shaft nut, but I'm not sure as I'm not very familiar with MacPherson struts.

Also the back springs tend to pop occasionally. Even with the 8th gen isolator installed.

Any Ideas?.

torque specs on the suspension parts -
http://www.collegehillshonda.com/instructions/civic/2012/2dr/hfpsuspension.pdf

When I think of popping, I think of suspension parts shifting under force. I had a stock honda vehicle do this in the past under warranty. I'd turn the wheel hard left/right at very low speeds and you'd hear it. Honda put it up on the rack and checked the suspension torque specs. There were numerous bolts that were not tightened properly, and that solved the issue. Since you did the install, I'd check the specs out and see if something is shifting on you.

torque specs on the suspension parts -
http://www.collegehillshonda.com/instructions/civic/2012/2dr/hfpsuspension.pdf

When I think of popping, I think of suspension parts shifting under force. I had a stock honda vehicle do this in the past under warranty. I'd turn the wheel hard left/right at very low speeds and you'd hear it. Honda put it up on the rack and checked the suspension torque specs. There were numerous bolts that were not tightened properly, and that solved the issue. Since you did the install, I'd check the specs out and see if something is shifting on you.
That sounds like the problem. I'll put it up on the rack soon and check it out.

I also saw this, I know it says 2006-07, but its the same setup and the same symptoms...

http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/atta...pping-front-suspension-solved-tsb-a07-043.pdf

The springs did call to cut the bump stop, so I cut about 1/3 of it down.

they banned me there - I can't see whatever that is

They banned you? Dayum. Lol. It's a TSB for 06-07 civics for popping front suspension. It recommends changing the bump stops.

seeing as how you just changed suspension parts and it started then - I'd say something just isn't tight enough and it's shifting.

they banned me there - I can't see whatever that is
I'm having the same problem. I've taken apart both sides of my front end multiple times. I've checked and rechecked torque specs, spring hats etc. I'm assuming you have the same pos road magnets. Personally I think it's the coils rubbing together. RM should just give us all a full refund for the extensive r and d plus the problem solving we have done. These piece of s#%^ springs for our cars front end aren't even concaved like the factory springs, not even mentioning the noise problems with the rear. I'm about to go back to factory height. Road magnet for the ULTIMATE lose. Thanks RM for all the headaches and drama.

:sadwavey: you have the first batch that they made, or the "revised version" with the 8th isolators?

Let me preface by saying I just put lowering springs on. I don't think the brand name matters at this point

After we installed the springs, and aligned it, we took it on a test drive and there was a rubbing/popping sound when you turn the wheel (almost like the sound you hear in a cartoon when a character stretches out a band). It seems more pronounced when im stationary. It hasn't really gotten much worse, but it is getting rather annoying. A friend said I might have overtightened the strut shaft nut, but I'm not sure as I'm not very familiar with MacPherson struts.

Also the back springs tend to pop occasionally. Even with the 8th gen isolator

Any Ideas?.

I meant to reply to this post.

I'm having the same problem. I've taken apart both sides of my front end multiple times. I've checked and rechecked torque specs, spring hats etc. I'm assuming you have the same pos road magnets. Personally I think it's the coils rubbing together. RM should just give us all a full refund for the extensive r and d plus the problem solving we have done. These piece of s#%^ springs for our cars front end aren't even concaved like the factory springs, not even mentioning the noise problems with the rear. I'm about to go back to factory height. Road magnet for the ULTIMATE lose. Thanks RM for all the headaches and drama.
Thanks Eddie Blanco for sharing your experience. Note to self....don't consider RM for suspension. It sounds like their product is inferior.

Yeah. I'm about to switch to coilovers. The noise is embarrassing. I can't hear it outside of the car except when the rear pops, but its horrible on the inside. Coilovers for Christmas unless Eibach gets their **** together.

I know this thread is very old, however I came here looking for answers and after a stressful few weeks trying to figure why my suspension was making noise when I turn the wheel I have finally fix the problem and someone may find this helpful. I literally disassembled and reassembled my coil overs in the front for different times.

I bought the Tein Street advance Z coil overs a few weeks ago and installed them myself. After installing the car drove great, no noises. The only thing I noticed is when I turn the steering wheel left or right when I was parked I felt something but not really a noise, I just felt it in the steering wheel. A few weeks later I noticed a spring noise when I turn the wheel just a little bit. About two weeks after that I noticed a constant noise when I turn the wheel left or right as if the spring was getting stuck.
I dismantle the suspension and decided to put silicone paste where the thrust washer is underneath the spring. This almost totally stop the noise but only for about a week then it came back. I decided to call Tein and I told them my solution was to lubricate the thrust washer that’s when they told me there was supposed to be two thrust washers there. So they sent me to new thrust washers, I disassembled the suspension and reassembled it with two new thrust washers. After that the noise was almost completely gone but that only lasted about a day then came back.

in a search for answers I looked at the Tein diagram that came with the coil overs and noticed between the rubber boot and the strut mount there was a “Bearing” which I have never seen before and I knew was not on my suspension. this is actually just a plastic piece that goes underneath the strut mount and on top of the rubber boot that goes inside of the spring to cover the front strut. Amazon only had one so I ordered one from there and the other my local Honda dealer had in stock.

well today I just got finished installing the bearings that were not there for a few months, no noise whatsoever.

this is the reason why I had no idea about the bearing on top. When I installed the coil overs I bought brand new strut mounts from Honda. The bearing goes underneath the strut mount and there’s actually stuck on there. So when I diss assembled the stock suspension the bearing was stuck underneath the strut mount and I had no idea it was separate part from the strut mount itself. So when reinstalling the coil overs I left this part out and had no idea about it whatsoever because it was stuck underneath the strut mount.

I know this post was pretty long, but I just wanted to post this so maybe it will help someone out. It is possible when installing the coil overs this part was left out and that’s where the noises coming from. I will include a photo of the OEM bearing which sits on top of the spring underneath the strut mount.

Attachments

• 04C5805B-F99C-40D3-8DED-323D1BA47F25.jpeg
    04C5805B-F99C-40D3-8DED-323D1BA47F25.jpeg
    299.5 KB · Views: 13
Back