Portable Battery for Block Heater

SpaceJam

Alberta, Canada
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
Sedan
Does anyone know if there's any portable batteries out there that I could use to plug my engine block heater into? There's no where to plug into at work and the car will be sitting in the cold for 10-12 hours.

I would think since the block heaters are designed to run off of a household outlet, you would need a generator to run it for that long. I don't think there are any batteries out there, that wouldn't be outrageously priced, that would be able to run the heater for long in the cold.

Yeah I've been looking around and that seems to be the only real option. I wish there was something decent for exactly this kind of situation lol

It would be nice but I think the technology for it is still too expensive to make main stream.

Oh well it was worth a shot. Im sure the car will be fine but I just cringe with those harsh starts lol

Haha that was the first idea but since the closest plug in is across a pretty busy street, I feel like someone would have something to say about it.

Quick search with an aftermarket engine block heater watts are normally around 600 watts. Could not find the specs on oem Honda... portable batteries would not last long at all trying to power the block heater.

You would be fine without the engine block heater, it just heats up the coolant not the engine oil. There is a thermostat to regulate the coolant, so the coolant is bypassing the radiator to heat up the engine faster. I see you are in Canada, you can switch to a more antifreeze to water ratio, something like 70% antifreeze 30% water which is the max antifreeze for cold weather, freezing point would be around -84F, -64C.

What are your concerns without running the block heater?

Yeah my main concern is that it's engine wear that would be avoidable if I had a plug in. And yeah I'm running full synthetic zero weight so I should be fine

The engine block heater won't do to much for the oil since most of the oil sure in the sump at the bottom of the engine. The block heater will help the HVAC blow warm air faster lol. Run good oil helps a lot. I use Pennzoil Ultra Platinum and Purolator pureone filter without problems in mine and wifeys car and she has more than 150k miles and it's still running strong. No oil consumption and 10k miles oil changes

Back