Potential Engine Build (B-Series?)

stilletto

Chicago, IL
Vehicle Model
Volkswagen Golf GTI
Developing a very strong urge to build an engine these past couple of months..

I've toyed with the idea of picking up a 4G63, seeing as I've owned plenty of DSM's over the years, but I doubt I'll be in another Eclipse ever again. Supply and demand for a clean roller, stupid rusted out shock towers, is insane right now, and OEM parts are getting harder and harder to find.

Older Honda Civic's usually don't spark up any interest, because let's be honest, most are hacked up rice rockets, but I've taken a liking to EJ/EK Coupes. Great looking when done right, though targets for theft. Ugh.

On to the point of this thread.. I've owned an '09 Civic Si Sedan (FA5) in the past, which I loved, but that's about all I've got when it comes to Honda's. Need your help as the plan is to find an engine, whether it be a B16/18/20 or whatever other options there are. No clue..

End goal would be something I could throw boost at, that's got VTEC, that I could toss into one of those coupes.

The only problem with the old Civics is that they are easy for thieves to steal. It's like they are more LoJack worthy than $100k cars. Lol. The B16s are probably the easiest for you to find and wouldn't cost as much as the other b engines. Have you also considered the CRX?

There was this good looking 1987-88 Honda Prelude Si (B20) with less than 60k miles going for $5000 in my area. :drooling: The Prelude Si was a great car during its time. They handled like champs!

you can go da or dc teggy too ???
when i had my da teg i did a b20 turboed pushing 346hp & 293trq @ 12lbs all day everyday with a turbo xs t3/t4 setup for 3 years till i sold it with no probs at all except normal maintenence like oil changes and occasional fitting tightening and thats it
turbo cams and arp head studs and she ran like a beast !

word of advise change to race axles because i went through 4 sets in one year untill i got the race ones lol and a stage 2 clutch
also it was stock teggy trans non LSD and she still ran like a monster i beat a porsch 911 with the way it was with no probs ...
it was my daily driver so no LSD in the winter was a + for me because older cars with race LSD's with no traction control sucks in the winter so just a heads up lol

Last edited:
Sometimes hard to find a clean crx. At least from ones I've seen for sale.

That's very true. But a good condition CRX going for a decent price will always show up once in a blue moon.

Sometimes hard to find a clean crx. At least from ones I've seen for sale.

You are right. Every one I see in my area look like they have been abused beyond belief.

An inactive member(Testify) bought this CRX Si last month. :drooling: Finding something like this in NJ is close to impossible which is why I was surprised seeing a sale (dealership) on the prelude I mentioned.
20130622_153843_zpsf6183194.jpg

Reactions: Nix
I know someone selling a running h22a1, I've heard they are pretty good engines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

An inactive member(Testify) bought this CRX Si last month. :drooling: Finding something like this in NJ is close to impossible which is why I was surprised seeing a sale (dealership) on the prelude I mentioned.

Preludes are definitely quite rare around here, too. I would have killed to own a 5th Gen when I was younger. WAAAYYY out of my price range for a car payment then.

• 2012-Current Honda Civic Si (US)
    • Displacement: 2,354 cc (143.6 cu in)
    • Bore and Stroke: 87 mm x 99 mm (3.43 x 3.90 inches)
    • Compression: 11.0:1
    • Power: 201 bhp @ 7000 rpm
    • Torque: 170 lb·ft @ 4400 rpm
    • Redline: 7100 rpm
    • Fuel Cutoff: 7200 rpm

H22A

Specifications"
  • Bore × Stroke: 87.0 mm × 90.70 mm (3.43 in × 3.571 in)
  • Displacement: 2,157 cc (131.6 cu in)
  • Valve Configuration: DOHC, 16 valves, VTEC
  • Type: In-line 4 cylinder, aluminum block and head
  • Compression ratio: 10.0-10.6:1 (North America); 10.0-11.0:1 (Europe); 10.6-11.0:1 (Japan)
  • Max power: 185-220 hp
  • Redline: 7200/7600 rpm
  • Rev Cut: 7400/8000 rpm

H22A1
  • Found in the American 4th gen Prelude VTEC (BB1). It produces 190 PS (140 kW; 187 hp) @ 6,800 rpm & 153 ft·lbf (207 N·m) @ 5,500 rpm and comes with a black valvecover.

Dam I didn't realize they are that similar, that's pretty cool for an engine that old.

Jeez! No action, then BOOM! EXPLODE!

Purely interested in an engine build at the moment. High horsepower isn't necessary, so a B16 would be alright. Rolling Shell can come later. These engines would need a VTEC Conversion, correct? Total noob with these things.

K20z3 that's it go back and get your fa5 I have a spare block and head if your looking for motor first. Honestly there's nothing you can't do with the k20 beast N/A and beast boosted its up to you your route

Would LOVE to throw a K-Series into an older Civic, but they're costly. I'd rather start with something cheaper as my first real build.

Hell, Ariel Atoms use a K-Series for those reasons alone. Best engines.

its not like its going to be that much cheaper at most $1-3k thats if your sourcing everything and planning on doing the work yourself.

Yeah, that's a lot considering I've recently found both B16/B18 Blocks on Craigslist for $250-500.

Also, I'll be doing the work myself. The experience alone is worth the cost.

Back