Project Mu Rotors, 9th Gen Civic Si

Have pricing for us yet? Over the next year I'm going to be deciding if I can stay with stock calipers as I just can't justify going to a BBK unless it's really necessary *for me*... But I'm guessing I may end up needing new rotors after the abuse I'm likely to put the stock ones through. I already feel some light grooving after just one track day with OEM pads (switching to Carbotech XP10/XP8 pads very soon).

around $400 a set....

if your in the car for more than 1 hour a day & you live in a very dense area, 4 pot calipers upgrade will worth every penny...

by just avoid 1 fender bender, you will have enough money to buy 3 bbk...

in 2014, my wife got hit 3 times in 4 months, the lowest payout was $3400 from a corolla who can't stop in time... that's fender bender with paint chipped, the rear bumper was not even cracked...

4 pot calipers upgrade like buddy club, if properly bleed, your car will have stopping power like a stock bmw m3.

Last edited:
I'm able to threshold brake from high speed with the stock brakes with no issues. My only concern is that as I gain skill on the track and switch to stickier tires that I may start to have issues. I'll wait and see though. I do know I can get the OEM pads too hot, which is why I'm switching pads...

that's totally is your decision, for fixed pistons upgrade, the only downside is the costs... even we were able to lowered the prices from $2000 down to $1100, it's still a lot of money for many people.

with better brake, you can enter the turn late, with good power, you can exit the turn at full blast.

if you ever race a turbo, supercharge civic with stock brake, they usually tend to brake very early because they have no confidence and the car is too fast to stop...

Last edited:
Honestly I'm more concerned with getting the best matched parts for tracking the car... I'm just a bit hesitant to upgrade only the front brakes. I used to drive a lighter car with pretty large four piston calipers on all four corners and it was well balanced... Don't worry, I'll be back at it if the pads alone don't cut it. Honestly though, for dinky little brakes, it did really well at the track for me this week, though I was easier on the brakes than I could have been.

By the way, I was braking early. ;-) I'll see what the pads do for me, then I may be back, got a quote from you already on the other forum...

the rear weight the same, but the front rotors are a bit lighter than expected... very happy with the result...

1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG

yes, a full set up with project mu rotors can save close to 13lbs of upsprung weight with no compromise.

for people that don't pay attention in physics class, 13lbs of unsprung weight is a HUGE weight savings

Last edited:
Reactions: Nix
How do the fronts compare to the stock in thickness? Did they cut weight by making them thinner in areas?

Thermal mass is essential in making the brakes work well. You're just changing kinetic energy into heat. The heavier a rotor the better it can handle more heat and harder braking.

When a brake is applied, all of the kinetic energy of the vehicle is converted into thermal energy.

Heat factors:

E = 1/2 MV²
E = Kinetic energy generated
M = Vehicle weight
V = Speed of the vehicle

Since all the converted heat needs to be absorbed and dissipated, the rotor comes into play as the “heat sink,”. As the rotor heats up, it absorbs heat just like a water sink holds water from a faucet. If the water pours into the sink at a rate faster than drain can handle, the water will overflow. Likewise, if the temperature of the rotor increases at a rate faster than the rotor can cool down, consequent damages are likely to occur. In one case, you end up with a wet floor, and in the other, a damaged brake system. In some extreme cases with too much heat, the tires could be set on fire.

Now we know how important a brake rotor is to a brake system. We need a bigger heat “sink” and efficient heat "draining" system to prevent heat from overflowing.

Increasing the holding (thermal) capacity means enlarging “sink” size, but in brake rotor instance this may be impractical, as it would also increase the rotating mass, which slows down the acceleration and as deceleration. This is not a desirable solution. So the challenge is to produce a rotor with the same mass, yet can manage or hold the same amount of heat longer, without overflow. To achieve this goal there are two main issues to overcome:
1. A better material that is more resistant to higher temperature with good thermal stability
2. Improved designs that can dissipate the heat faster

Back