question about power consuming at parking

paulga

Hi, I have a question on power consumption while the car is parked. I usually would like to stay in the car and make a telephone call that lasts half an hour to one hour long. During the process the car is at a parking state, and the starter is at off position. But I still can notice the MID backlight and interior light over rear seats come on as soon as the door is unlocked ( the interior light stays on even after I enter the car and lock the doors from inside). In addition some bulbs in the headlight might be turned on too.
Is there a way to manually turn off all power consuming elements so the battery doesn't get drained while I talk on the phone in a parked car? Thanks.

Try this.
Park and shut off the car
Take the keys out of the ignition
Open and close the driver door
Lock the doors with the key fob
Let me know if it works

I have tried this way, I cannot check if the small bulbs in headlight turns off or not, or some parts that are not visible are still working.
the problem is this way only simulates the "leaving car" process, the car might get information via some sensor that prevents it from entering a complete-off state.

Try this.
Park and shut off the car
Take the keys out of the ignition
Open and close the driver door
Lock the doors with the key fob
Let me know if it works

I just got in my car and tried to see what the least amount of fiddling would do.
1st.... Be sure your e-brake is on at least 1 click... before turning the key on........ that will keep the dtrl from coming on(biggest drain).
2nd... Turn the key on 1 click
3rd... Open close the door......That's it........

Now to make sure you're comfortable you may want to open/adjust the windows for some air before you do 1, 2, 3 ..........

@323 's ..... works, but some ppl don't know about the dtrl, and how they're triggered. The e-brake has to be on before turning the key, you can turn the key 1, 2, or start and the dtrl stays off until you let off the e-brake. (How do I know.... I have a big a - - bubble mirror on the wall in front of my car).

so those bulbs are dtrl, or so called daytime running lights. so as long as the hand brake or applied tight, dtrl will not come on?
why do you turn key to "I" at 2nd step? my problem setting is like this: walk to my car at parking lot, unlock and enter it, make some adjustment to turn off everything to
conserve battery, stay in the car making a phone call, and finally start it and drive away or lock it and leave.

I just got in my car and tried to see what the least amount of fiddling would do.
1st.... Be sure your e-brake is on at least 1 click... before turning the key on........ that will keep the dtrl from coming on(biggest drain).
2nd... Turn the key on 1 click
3rd... Open close the door......That's it........

Now to make sure you're comfortable you may want to open/adjust the windows for some air before you do 1, 2, 3 ..........

@323 's ..... works, but some ppl don't know about the dtrl, and how they're triggered. The e-brake has to be on before turning the key, you can turn the key 1, 2, or start and the dtrl stays off until you let off the e-brake. (How do I know.... I have a big a - - bubble mirror on the wall in front of my car).

New so those bulbs are dtrl, or so called daytime running lights. so as long as the hand brake or applied tight, dtrl will not come on?
why do you turn key to "I" at 2nd step? my problem setting is like this: walk to my car at parking lot, unlock and enter it, make some adjustment to turn off everything to conserve battery, stay in the car making a phone call, and finally start it and drive away or lock it and leave.
The point is, ...... if you turn the key on to any position "before" you set the e-brake, the dtl will still come on, ........ So you want to be sure the e-brake is set on before turning the key to any setting away from off.(and the e-brake doesn't need to be tight, just one click....... as far as controlling the light.......... tight if you don't want the car to roll).
So you walk to the car, get in, turn the key to the 2nd position so you can adjust the windows for air. While the key is in 2nd turn off radio, and fan, then check that the e-brake is on, then turn the key off, then turn it(key) back on to the 1st position and you're gold..... The phone system works in 1st position, if the key is in the 2nd position the dash lights will come on.

The brake has to be on before you turn the key on...... if you didn't want to adjust the windows, all you would have to do is get in the car set the brake turn the key to 1 and you're gold.(as long as the fan, and radio are off).

When I park my car to get out, I turn my fan and radio off before I turn the key off. So when I get back in it to start it, it's not drawing any more power than what it draws to start, then I'll turn the fan and radio on.

The point is, ...... if you turn the key on to any position "before" you set the e-brake, the dtl will still come on, ........ So you want to be sure the e-brake is set on before turning the key to any setting away from off.(and the e-brake doesn't need to be tight, just one click....... as far as controlling the light.......... tight if you don't want the car to roll).
So you walk to the car, get in, turn the key to the 2nd position so you can adjust the windows for air. While the key is in 2nd turn off radio, and fan, then check that the e-brake is on, then turn the key off, then turn it(key) back on to the 1st position and you're gold..... The phone system works in 1st position, if the key is in the 2nd position the dash lights will come on.

The brake has to be on before you turn the key on...... if you didn't want to adjust the windows, all you would have to do is get in the car set the brake turn the key to 1 and you're gold.(as long as the fan, and radio are off).

I see you are using the phone system built in the dash so you need to put ignition switch to 1. I'm using my cellphone and just need a shelter-- the car fills that role well.
when I enter my car the hand brake is always on, which blocks dtrl. I don't need access to phone functioning so I don't use the key, radio/fan is not a problem.
if all other concerns are the interior lights, I can push them to off position. hopefully there's no built in complex conditioning logic such as "driver door shutting"+"key in ignition switch" triggers "a light goes out at once", if one of the criteria not met then that light stays on for 15 minutes.

Back