question about the oil level

paulga

I changed the oil on Sunday and the car then sits in the garage until today. this morning I checked the oil dipstick before driving, and the fluid mark falls exactly in the middle position between the two dots.
I added about 4.4 Quarts oil on Sunday and the oil was almost flush with the upper dot at that time (I checked it when the car was still on the ramp).
Would you add some oil if the oil level is in the middle of the two dots? if so how much would you add?
Thanks in advance.

To get the most accurate read on the engine oil, follow these steps:

• • Make sure the car is parked on a flat surface. A sloped plane will cause an incorrect reading on the dipstick.
  • • Allow the engine to cool. Not only is working with hot oil dangerous, the fluid expands from the heat, which will influence the verity of the dipstick test.
  • • Remove the dipstick from the reservoir and wipe it clean with a rag. Return the dipstick back into place and withdraw it again.
  • • Look at the indicator on the dipstick to see if the oil is at a safe level. If it is low, oil must be added.
Would you add some oil if the oil level is in the middle of the two dots? if so how much would you add?

Top to bottom mark on the dip stick is 1 quart. So you could add about 1/2 qt if you're on level ground & you're following the info above.

Honda says to check oil 5 min. after shutting off engine..... And always check it at the same time to get a consistent reading. As @webby said be careful with hot oil and oil stick....... and as said after changing you should run the engine to get the system including oil filter to circulate before checking.

• • Make sure the car is parked on a flat surface. A sloped plane will cause an incorrect reading on the dipstick.
  • • Allow the engine to cool. Not only is working with hot oil dangerous, the fluid expands from the heat, which will influence the verity of the dipstick test.
  • • Remove the dipstick from the reservoir and wipe it clean with a rag. Return the dipstick back into place and withdraw it again.
  • • Look at the indicator on the dipstick to see if the oil is at a safe level. If it is low, oil must be added.

Top to bottom mark on the dip stick is 1 quart. So you could add about 1/2 qt if you're on level ground & you're following the info above.

Sounds like you checked the oil before starting the engine and, if on a ramp (front wheels only) you had a serious deviation from level or were on a hell of a downslope.
The key is "on level ground" - If you added 4.4 qts, and changed the filter, and you have an Si you should be at the full mark after running the engine for a short period - to clear the lo oil pressure light.
In the end Webby is (always) right, on level ground with a cool or cold engine, add oil - about 1 qt. between the dots - to get you to the "full" dot. You are safe anywhere between the dots but full is best.

Thanks for the numbers. I will check the oil level again the next morning before starting the engine.

Sounds like you checked the oil before starting the engine and, if on a ramp (front wheels only) you had a serious deviation from level or were on a hell of a downslope.
The key is "on level ground" - If you added 4.4 qts, and changed the filter, and you have an Si you should be at the full mark after running the engine for a short period - to clear the lo oil pressure light.
In the end Webby is (always) right, on level ground with a cool or cold engine, add oil - about 1 qt. between the dots - to get you to the "full" dot. You are safe anywhere between the dots but full is best.

I did add 4 quart bottles into the engine, and the 5th quart bottle has about 560 ml left (so about 378 ml poured into the engine).
I also added oil into the filter before installing it.
it is not so likely there is oil leak.
so I find it strange that the oil level is not near the full mark.

I just checked the oil , the engine is cold.
the oil is exactly flush with the upper dot mark. There are also two oil beads on the oil stick way above the upper dot, I am not sure how oil can get there. This might not be good, as oil expands a little in summer when the oil might reach beyond the upper dot.

When I did the oil change I followed the manual, added about 4.4 quart, start the engine a few minutes, shutdown and wait for 3 minutes, added some oil according to the dip stick. It looks that I added a bit more than ideal.

If you dip the oil filter before installing it, do you still add 4.4 quarts?

20151221_085052.jpg 20151221_085107.jpg

You're fine. Dots above are typical of oil that drips off the dipstick onto the "tube" as you remove/reinsert the dipstick.
The 4.4 qts. is total fill including what's in the filter.
Winter/Summer oil expansion is inconsequential to over- or under-filling - I wouldn't do it but 1/2 qrt. above full dot or below the add dot won't hurt anything.

How hot was the oil when you checked it, or what weight oil are you using? I've never seen the full/add hole not fill with oil if it's been in oil and not wiped.

Last edited:
the attached photos are blurry. it was difficult for the phone camera to focus on the stick.

Back