Questions regarding premium system replacement 2012 EX Coupe

sininspira

Hi everyone, new to the forums. I'm looking to replace my entire audio setup, possibly in stages because I'd like to do it myself. I have a 2012 EX-L Coupe w/Premium Audio (non-navi). This would be my first entire-system replacement. I've done like one or two head units on old cars, but that's it. I have a good amount of home theater/AV knowledge, and can keep up with high level EE stuff though.

Anyways, I had a few questions.

1) Since I'm replacing the head unit and amp, do I need to worry about the differential balanced outputs talked about in this guide? http://9thcivic.com/forum/threads/2013-civic-premium-audio-system-navigation-stereo-upgrade.10207/

2) Can I replace just the head unit and amp, and leave the stock speakers for later? I know stock is bad, but I'm mainly interested in a head unit for Android Auto and if the sound quality with a new amp/head unit is comparable to stock I'll still be happy until I can replace the rest.

3) I'm pretty sure the answer is no, but can I connect the factory mic to a new head unit? If not, are internal mics to head units usually acceptable quality for calls and voice commands? Is it better to get an external mic compatible with the head unit and mount it?

4) Any recommendations for a backup cam that could hook up to a head unit and be triggered on reverse? I've seen some that get power from the reverse lights, but I'm not sure how that all goes together with the stock system and/or new head unit.

5) Any features in a head unit I should be looking for to keep steering controls with the crutchfield adapter? Along the same lines, any other essential adapters/harnesses?

6) Any other recommendations for someone just starting out?

Thank you in advance for any help/answers!

Edit: additional question - Can I also just replace the head unit and leave the amp/speakers be for now and keep the same level of audio quality the stock head unit provides?

Last edited:
1. If you are swapping the head unit, you don't have to worry about the original outputs.
2. Yes, but with more power output from the new stereo and possible amp, you may blow them and require replacement later.
3. An aftermarket microphone will probably be better quality than the stock one that is hidden in your light panel on the roof.
4. I am not familiar with back-up cameras. Haven't done the research.
5. I am not familiar
6. With a new install it is a bit of work, but the reward is so worth it.

4) For the most part, a decent double DIN head unit will have a backup camera option. If it does, then buy the camera add on and you'll splice it into the wire that sends signal to turn on your backup lights. That'll trigger the headunit to switch the display to the rear camera for backing up in almost a seamless factory style setup (sometimes it is a setting in the headunit).
5) I've had good luck with Pioneer head units and PAC steering wheel controller interfaces. I haven't done this in a Civic; but, in my other car, I've had multiple stereos and different adapters.
6) Find something you like and can afford. I like Pioneer headunits and accessories with Rockford Fosgate amps. Not necessarily the best setup, but I have been happy with these combos in the past.

Back