Quick detail on the summer wheels....

Nix

Jötunn Moderator
VIP Member
Lew-vul, KY
Body Style
It's A Fast Pig!
I stopped being lazy and finally got my summer wheels out of the closet. I did a thorough wash last fall when I took them off, decon with Iron X and hit em with the clay bar before I put them away. I decided to seal them with some new stuff to help keep them clean.

First things first... Since they were already really really clean I wiped them down with a quick detailer to make sure all the dust was off. I like Poorboys World Spray and Wipe. Smells nice and has no wax in it.
cleanit.jpg

I used Blackfire Crystal Seal for this set of wheels. It's pretty easy to use. Just spray it on a foam applicator and wipe it on quickly and evenly. That's it. No buffing.
crystalseal.jpg

You need hardly any of this stuff at all. 1-2 sprays is enough to cover a hood. I like to prime my applicator with 2-3 sprays and then maybe 1/2 spray more is needed per wheel. Spray it then scrunch it a couple times to spread the stuff around. Sometimes I'll put a little extra on the very edge for fitting the sponge in tight spots.
scrunchit.jpg

I like to start with the barrels. I feel it helps get the product spread evenly on the pad and you can start getting a feel for how much you are going to need.It's hard to see since it's clear but if you are seeing "moisture trails" you are using too much.
barrelb.jpg

And finished... I think they came out pretty shiny. They are slippery as heck to grab onto now...

shiny.jpg

I tried to get close to show how much the metallic paint changed appearance. It went from flat and dull "yellowish" to sparkly again.

shiny4.jpg

Don't forget your tires!!! Use a non-silicone tire dressing. Meguiars Endurance in the purple bottle from AutoZone/Pep boys has silicone in it. It will damage and turn your tires brown! It also slings off black goop onto your paint. I like Optimum Tire Shine. Works great, does not sling, and has no silicone. I have also had some success on black trim with it.
tiredressing.jpg

I use a split tire sponge applicator. It's not necessary but buying a dedicated one is only a couple bucks & it works very nicely. I start with just half a trigger pull and start working it around the tire. Add more as you need. It's easier to put more on as you go than to get too much and have a dripping wet sponge.
halfsquirt.jpg

The split lets you get a nice grip on it and you can conform it to the contour of the tire.
dressingrub.jpg

Tire comparison. No dressing on the left and with Optimum Tire Shine on the right.

tirecompare.jpg

That's my detailing update for today. Just a couple hours for great looking wheels and tires....and now im off to work!

Just did this to my HFP's for summer, I'll have to do the same for winter when my Si wheels go back on. Nice write up, very nice!

Reactions: Nix
Thanks guys! I used to use the Poorboys World Wheel Sealant. It works great but having to apply it and then go back and buff it off multiple spokes takes a long time. I only use it on 5-6 spoke wheels now.

This stuff.... Don't apply it over any raised lettering or you'll be cleaning pink stuff out with a toothbrush or q-tips
pbsealant.jpg

What about using 4 Star UPP? I mean I knows it's primarily for cars, but use it on wheels too??

That's another nice product. You certainly could use it on the wheels, the only thing you would run into is the need to apply it and then buff it off after it cures.

That's why I switched from the PBW Sealant to the BF Crystal spray. It's much easier to just wipe it on and not have to worry about buffing it off all the small corners and crevices. Also anything that you would need to buff off after has the potential to build up in the corners and over raised letters and around the valve stem.

The crystal seal has been the easiest product to use that ive tried yet. It's also clear so you won't see any high spots or build up.

Here is a nice review on that particular product....
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...view-four-star-ultimate-paint-protection.html

Check out the reflections on that black stang! Holy Shamoly!

Last edited:
Back