Quick question, maybe someone can help me?

sqwiggle!

Hey guys, so I just recently got my new 2012 white civic si!

So after driving it everywhere I go, the car has like just dust and stuff that can be removed with the finger. So my question is, can I just buy like a microfiber towel and just towel it off or is there a better technique or way of doing this?

Thanks! :D

You should get RaskyR1 to weigh in, but in my experience, if you wipe the dust/dirt with anything, you'll scratch the paint. It's better to give it a wash that will safely remove the dirt/dust particles.

It comes down to how much you care about your car's finish.

Yeah dude, quick detailer and a MF towel. I keep a small bottle in the glove box with a towel for bird bombs and such.

I was using the Meguiars cause its easy to find and it works really good. I switched over to Poorboys World Spray and Wipe. I didn't have to buff as much to cut down the streaking.

I would never touch my paint when it's dusty with out lubrication from a detail spray or water-less wash. Dusters CAN and WILL scratch the paint over time. If you care about you finish I suggest picking up a detail spray like those above, or better yet, some Optimum Opti-Clean for "light" dust removal. At some point the car is too dirty to safely be cleaned with detail sprays, which is when you will want to look at doing a rinse-less wash with ONR or a traditional wash. If you drive the car in the rain or it's been more than a few days of driving since you washed, I personally would not use detail sprays.

When wiping the car down with Opti-Clean or other detail sprays it is key to use multiple MF towels. Fold them twice so that you have 8 cleaning surfaces per towel. I will typically use 4 MF towels on an averaged sized car. I use one towel to do the initial wiping and then quickly follow it up with a dry towel to ensure I don't leave behind any streaks. Once I've used all 8 sides of the first towel (one side per panel or half of a hood/roof) I'll grab a new one or use the towel I was previously following up with and use that for the initial wiping. Also Keep in mind that the lower panels and the back of the car are going to have the most dust/dirt. Do those areas last and use a little more product for extra lubrication/protection.

I should probably make a video one of these days showing this method. ;)

Rasky

Meguiars clay kit for stuck on stuff, followed by meguiars ultimate liquid wax (for waxing). And the meguiars ultimate quick wax is awesome on my car, i use the quick wax every wash and it comes out gleaming every time. It's a synthetic wax which is my personal preference. It also seems to help prevent the natural road dust from sticking to my car i've noticed. I clay/wax 3 times a year.

Back