R18 Civic Power Page, 9th gen civic lx ex fb2 fg3 12-14

levin acierto

anyone that's interested to improve your r18's performance... please subscribe this thread...

for the past year or so.... we've been trying to figure ways to improve the performance of the r18 civic & makes it more enjoyable to drive.

by no means we are trying to make r18 a 13 seconds car... thank you.
Enjoy

thought id put it here also so get some views

**Thanks with the help of team3d and rob and other friends. They atleast made mine and my r18 very enjoyable. And giving results aswell.

Www.fkxracing.com

1st car is levin's 2012 civic lx coupe (manual)
levin1_zpsf7c917bb.jpg

2nd car is rob's 2012 civic lx sedan (auto)
10717137664_f2f5cf23ec_c.jpg

Last edited:
:bananapop:

I have the Takeda intake and the P2R throttle body spacer on mine (Auto LX). Very happy with these two mods for sound and high end gains. It's the inexistent torque at low revs that is disappointing for me.

For good low end mod, go with lightweight rims, tires and lightweight pulley. TBS that you have helps also. I wish we have engine mount also.

Last edited:
:bananapop:

I have the Takeda intake and the P2R throttle body spacer on mine (Auto LX). Very happy with these two mods for sound and high end gains. It's the inexistent torque at low revs that is disappointing for me.

my 2012 civic r18 automatic, i have no power at all when i first got the car. till i install the HFP axle back, after HFP, when i enters the freeway, i get that punch that most automatic car gets when you floor it...

stock cars never had that "kick"

As a quick note i only have the same bolt ons as you takeda and p2r tbs and a ebay muffler. Even with those bolt ons you want the best mod get lighter wheels.

for those who knows me, knows I'm always about weight reduction.....

many people are skeptical about my approach on weight reduction, asking me removing 1-2lbs of unsprung weight really matter ??? especially on wheels, tires & rotors ????

link: http://www.dbausa.com/is-a-lighter-rotor-better/

copy & paste

The other side of the coin is unsprung weight or rotating inertia. All performance fanatics talk about reducing unsprung weight. Yes, a rotating disc does have a certain amount of rotating inertia or a flywheel effect which requires power to accelerate and to decelerate. It takes approximately 18 lb-ft of torque to get those 21 lb discs spinning up to 80 mph and back down to zero when braking. The lighter 18.7 lb disc requires approximately 15.1 lb-ft which is a little better than 10% saving in energy required to accelerate, and then decelerate the same vehicle.

for those who knows me, knows I'm always about weight reduction.....

many people are skeptical about my approach on weight reduction, asking me removing 1-2lbs of unsprung weight really matter ??? especially on wheels, tires & rotors ????

link: http://www.dbausa.com/is-a-lighter-rotor-better/

copy & paste

The other side of the coin is unsprung weight or rotating inertia. All performance fanatics talk about reducing unsprung weight. Yes, a rotating disc does have a certain amount of rotating inertia or a flywheel effect which requires power to accelerate and to decelerate. It takes approximately 18 lb-ft of torque to get those 21 lb discs spinning up to 80 mph and back down to zero when braking. The lighter 18.7 lb disc requires approximately 15.1 lb-ft which is a little better than 10% saving in energy required to accelerate, and then decelerate the same vehicle.

it means you need 18lbs of torque to spin 1x 21lbs disc up to 80mph, it include the tires, wheels & rotors (x2 rotors = 36lbs of torque)

if you just reduce the disc weight by 2.3lbs, now your car only need to use 15lbs of torque to spin 1x 18.7lbs disc up to 80mph

this formula can apply to tires, wheels, spacers, wheel studs, lug nuts & rotors

on levin's 2012 civic lx coupe (manual), it's not possible to even consider to race an si with just simple performance bolt-on's...

here is a power ratio for the si... (3000lbs 200hp)
Power to Weight Ratio
0.067 hp per 1 lb

here is the power ratio for the 2012 civic lx coupe manual (2600lbs 140hp)

Power to Weight Ratio
0.054 hp per 1 lb

to match civic si's average power to weight ratio.... r18 need to be 170hp (flywheel) & 2550lbs

removing 50lbs (curb weight) off r18 is not hard, just spare tires & tools, head rests, floor mats, empty glove box & hub cap can almost hit 50lbs...

now, we can match the target weight of 2550lbs, and we just need to find ways to buy that 30hp or we need to reduce more weight to get better power to weight ratio...

You make a good point.

haha, thanks...

me & rob started to study r18 after my hfp axle back install back in 2012.... i was very surprise from the gain. and we were lucky enough to meet levin (manual lx) at a car meet & we were able to put all our theory into a real car & we'ved been testing it ever since...

the only reason i post this now is now the theory becomes a reality (fact)... this past summer, levin just keep racing stock si (8th & 9th gen) and even some modded si..... to a point that seeing r18 beat an si is very normal sight...

FACT: r18 manual can keep up with stock civic si if you know what your doing...

Back