R18 EX SC or TC?

TanSupaMan

Chicago, IL
Vehicle Model
Civic
Body Style
EX
Hello everyone, this is my first post. I have a 2013 Honda Civic Ex AT (non-CVT) daily driver (~100 miles daily) and looking to put a little more "umph" in this mofo haha. My other cars are turboed and I do enjoy TCs immensely, but am open to SCs as well. Money is not an issue and I'm not intending this car to race anyone. It's tracked. I just want to make it more fun to drive on my daily commute with an emphasis on torque. I have read numerous threads of which @Nix and @team3d s knowledge of the matter really helped.

I have an automatic transmission and am getting a Derale transmission cooler and reading the guide @Nix made (thank you) and will get a level 10 torque converter if required. My goals are 200-250 WHP and 180+ WTQ. From Nix's wisdom I've come to the understanding that our transmission is the same 5SPD that's in the RDX, which has 240 hp.

I'm not looking for anything crazy, I have other cars for that. I don't want an Si, if I did I would have gotten one, this is a DD. The R18 is an extremely reliable engine with fantastic mpg (driver dependent) and was my first car, so it holds sentimental value.

My current setup,

Truhart struts

Skunk 2 springs

Eibach front and rear sway bars

Moog endlinks

Wilwood Forged Narrow Superlite 6Rs (6 piston)

Injen CAI

Konig Oversteer 18x8

Kuhmo 235/40/R18s

Borla Axleback Exhaust

I started this project two weekends ago from stock and it has been fun (that air intake was a bi**h getting out). I'll post pictures soon. Now I want to explore power options. I contacted FullRace and their TC will fit 9th gens, but the charge piping will need modification. My question mostly pertains to SCs. Has anyone had any luck mounting a JRSC/Kraftwerks onto the 9th gen? Any information is greatly apprecieted. Thank you. button below.

Isn’t there a guy on this forum that has the fastest r18? I think he’s turboed on an auto tranny.

@webby for his scary search skills

Is a motor swap an option for you? Have you tried contacting PRL? I have the PRL kit on my SI and it fits like a glove. But if my memory hold up the R18 is 180 to the K24, Intake manifold is in the rear and the exhaust manifold is in the front?

Thank you all for replying. I want to veer away from a swap since this is a DD. Anybody have any success mounting a SC to the 9th gen? If not I'm just going to go with the FullRace TC. I might be asking too much from an AT R18 but it's worth asking. I believe someone named Jake was in the process of mounting a Kraftwerks to his 9th gen, but did not update on the progress.

Thank you all for replying. I want to veer away from a swap since this is a DD. Anybody have any success mounting a SC to the 9th gen? If not I'm just going to go with the FullRace TC. I might be asking too much from an AT R18 but it's worth asking. I believe someone named Jake was in the process of mounting a Kraftwerks to his 9th gen, but did not update on the progress.

They’re different mounting points specifically where the sc mounts so I’m not sure if it would bolt up.

I will always recommend snail over sc, just my personal preference though.

Also not sure what tuning solution exist. Believe Ktuner is the better option for the 9th gen; unless you want to ball out - MoTeC is king. ;)

There’s a couple 8th gen R18 automatics and torque converter starts giving at around ~200 whp, there is a level10 torque converter option for the tranny if you’re looking to push it past that.

I would highly recommend declaring your goal first and then working towards it or you’ll end down the rabbit hole $$$.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He has some info in this link and below. He went turbo
http://9thcivic.com/forum/threads/r18-boost.15754/#post-431064

As well as this post and below
http://9thcivic.com/forum/threads/j...formance-enhancement.15758/page-2#post-431274

Jake ran into issues with the crash beam for trying to run piping I know. He initially wanted to try an 8th gen kit and then realized he would have to do custom fab work since it wouldn’t bolt up.

So I found his old post regarding his build. He mentions getting a thinner/shorter intercooler, so maybe that would solved more of the issue? He would probably have to chime in.
===============

I just bought a bunch of parts off eBay ...T25 turbo (spools fast as hell but no top end power), an 8th gen r18 turbo manifold fits on our 9th gens, a bunch of oil feed lines and a universal intercooler kit...had to remove windshield washer pump, AC lines and cut out parts of the front bumper(as you can see, someone else could have probably done better but since its a lot of custom work I wasn't too worried about the bumper..probably will redo the plumping and see if I can get another bumper to fit without cutting) Had to delete EGR as well. Bought a catch can too cause it looks pretty haha. If you want to boost your car, Full race has a template of where to drill into your oil pan for oil drain line and where to pull oil feed from - stock oil pressure sending unit...Currently on 11lbs of boost at 298WHP and 333WTQ at 4700 RPM....cost me around $2500 but could have been way cheaper but it was a lot of trial and error...I will most likely start a build thread soon since work is winding down and I actually have time to be active again lol

the rumors are true it is not a direct bolt-on there is custom work to be done especially with the previously stated issue with the crash bar i had to shave off a good amount for the intercooler, i thought of getting a thinner or shorter intercooler but i just figured this car will most likely never be daily-ed again so structure of this part isn't as important to me as someone who will daily it.

my srt-4 has a custom intercooler that fits with the crash beam-didn't really need it though and added a lot of weight-not good.

Interesting. Didn’t know they came with the beam.

20181201_123909.jpg

What I liked about the PRL kit was they made their kit so easy anyone could install it with basic hand tools.

Nothing against Full-Race I like their products but kit they offer requires modifications and cutting.

Back