r18 turbo question

I'm sure the turbo itself would fit, but you'd still need hot parts. Not sure you understand the full extent of boosting an NA car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

if you're asking to just slap one on and think piping etc will fit.... no. Two totally different engines/cars. The r18 turbo from 8th gen civic doesn't even directly bolt on to the r18 engine from the 9th gen civics. The engine is almost identical and it doesn't work with it.

No I was jw if the down pipe would work off the stock motor to replace my factory down pipe

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

dce416e54f6830896b5ce1743fb7ea71.jpg

I did that in college out of d9 parts so I know a little bit just wondering if some of the parts I could use that way I could get them cheaper off a wreck car then buying new

closeup of the new turbo engine. You can see how different it is from your r18

cgSJ2RE.jpg

88tHHvx.jpg

The new turbo is very small and runs out of steam at around 250-260hp. IMO, if you have a manual R18 you would be better off trying to fit the jackson racing supercharger kit with the track pack.

Yes I do the turbo bolts straight to it not like a down pipe or any header so I could not make that work whats a good price kit I mean I'm just looking to run small boost about 15 20 pounds

No mine is not manual it's auto had to get auto bc of my dumb insurance

https://jacksonracing.com/product/civic-r18-supercharger-system/
it is NOT a direct bolt on. This is for the 8th gen r18.

intercooler doesn't fit, piping is wrong diameter for throttle body, injectors are different from the 8th gens, alternator bracket is wrong for the unit and i think the engines in the 8th gens sat lower than our 9th gens because i mounted unit with a custom alternator bracket and stopped hood from closing

from here -
http://9thcivic.com/forum/threads/jackson-racing-supercharger-r18-9th-gen.14942/

@Jake LXer is trying to make it work for the 9th gen. He's still in the process of getting it installed.

Yeah I don't have that kind of money for a turbo kit right now I'll just have to pice it together slowly

I'm just looking to run small boost about 15 20 pounds

Missed this point earlier. Couple issues you'll run into: Small boost on your car would be less than 10psi. You won't be able to run 15/20 without a lot of custom fab work. That plastic IM won't hold up and the stock MAF can't read past 9psi anyways. You will need to run a 4bar MAP sensor.

Not trying to talk you out of it but this project is going to cost you a ton in the long run.

EDIT: The stock plastic intake manifold breaks at around 17-18psi. Boost spikes will happen especially with an AT car so you will need to keep your boost in check very carefully unless you are willing to pay for a custom new IM.

The stock engine should be run with no more than 17psi because the stock sleeves around the pistons are slightly oval shaped. Under serious power the piston can move more than it should which means you are going to need to send the block out to be sleeved, which should also mean you need new forged internals, pistons, rods, and at that point you will be needing valve train upgrades as well.

Last edited:
Oh, and the AT issues keep going...

Torque converter failure starts to set in at around 230whp. Thats from guys who had 20-30k miles on theirs. They were starting to get issues. Also if you have done the conversion to MAP sensor the signal from that causes the AT to not operate correctly since it is not programmed to register positive boost pressure. It is especially noticeable on the 4th to 5th gear change where the Transmission Control Unit creates a huge delay. Meanwhile the stall position on the torque converter will be eating a ton of power and the range selector on the transmission will be taking a beating. Unless you can change the TCU parameters, which as far as I know no solution was found, since FP only controlls the ECU.

Thanks I'm use to boosting diesels so 20 psi is nothing on them so with 10 psi how much power do u think I could get out of a stock r18

What kit did u use bc thats all I want is some fun out of it she done handles like she is on rails

It was the TSI extreme turbo kit, but honestly I don't think your auto transmission will hold up.

Back