Random fee?

JDM4U

Miami, Fl
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
Sedan
Hello everyone,

About a month ago I purchased my current Si. I paid the total price, including tag transfer, tax, and fees, up front. I got a notice in the mail that my tag transfer was ready to pick up at the dealership and have a balance of $55 and change. When I called they told me that the fee was for the tag sticker? Since the DMV or w/e dropped the sticker off it saves me time from going there and that's what the fee is for. I told them I paid the car in full including all fees so that is sounding like a BS fee to me. My question is, is it a BS fee or legit fee? I was told at time of purchase that I'd be receiving the transfer in the mail so not sure what the deal is here. Any input is appreciated.

Hello everyone,

About a month ago I purchased my current Si. I paid the total price, including tag transfer, tax, and fees, up front. I got a notice in the mail that my tag transfer was ready to pick up at the dealership and have a balance of $55 and change. When I called they told me that the fee was for the tag sticker? Since the DMV or w/e dropped the sticker off it saves me time from going there and that's what the fee is for. I told them I paid the car in full including all fees so that is sounding like a BS fee to me. My question is, is it a BS fee or legit fee? I was told at time of purchase that I'd be receiving the transfer in the mail so not sure what the deal is here. Any input is appreciated.
As much as I would be 1st to say BS........... In this case they did tell you at that time(T.O.P.) that this was going to happen even though they didn't say it's going to cost you a BS fee........ I'd give them their BS money, and log it to memory, this is the way our business morals are heading now and into the future.(rant)......

Your dealership paperwork should show the list of fees toward the bottom of the sales document. You can snap a pic of the bottom portion or whatever if you want us to look.

The paperwork doesn't seem to show much other than your out the door price. Usually there is a break down of tax, title, dealership paperwork fees, etc. I'm not seeing that on the pictures you posted. I know dealers tend to charge a paperwork fee that I don't agree with and I'm wondering if that's what this would fall under.

I would pay the fee, but I would also state that it wasn't agreed upon and try to get something out of the dealer like a free service, carwash, tank of gas, or discount on an accessory you want.

Can you call or stop at the dmv with that paperwork and ask if things are correct to be paying the dealer? Is the fee really for a new plate and a 1yr sticker that they're making you pay for? I guess I'm not completely sure what the dealer is trying to do. If you buy a car they usually have the tag fee for a 30day temp plate and then you'd pay the dmv for a new plate and a 1yr registration sticker. See if that's what they're charging you for? That's my advice.

OK... I just went from Lease to finance this week, and looking at my contract there's a $40+ charge for Gov lic&reg fee's, then another $10+ for Gov cert of title. So there's $50 bucks right there on mine.

Edit: Since the OP paid up front, this was being handled for him, and they want their money for it, The hardest part of mine is dealing with the DMV for my wanting my own plates, and there's a delay time for the paper work(gov process). So basically it seems as they are saving the op some headaches.

A few years ago it was, buy a car and get paper plates, but now the dealer gives me new metal/year-long plates, and no traveling/w/lines at the DMV....... Good deal........

Last edited:
OK... I just went from Lease to finance this week, and looking at my contract there's a $40+ charge for Gov lic&reg fee's, then another $10+ for Gov cert of title. So there's $50 bucks right there on mine.

Edit: Since the OP paid up front, this was being handled for him, and they want their money for it, The hardest part of mine is dealing with the DMV for my wanting my own plates, and there's a delay time for the paper work(gov process). So basically it seems as they are saving the op some headaches.

A few years ago it was, buy a car and get paper plates, but now the dealer gives me new metal/year-long plates, and no traveling/w/lines at the DMV....... Good deal........

Yeah I went in to talk to them and that's exactly what they did, plus they got a new tag for me instead of using my old tag. So didn't mind paying the fee after all. Would've preferred if they had explained that over the phone. Thanks for the input everyone!

Back