Rasky's work! :)

RaskyR1

Per request, I've agreed to start a new thread of my work on this forum, and since this is a new forum for a new car, I feel it's only fitting to start with "new" work. :)

2011 Cayenne, paint correction & Opti-Guard protection

The owner of this vehicle contacted me last winter about getting his new Porsche into the condition it should be. As you can see it had some significant wash induced marring and a few RIDS thanks to the dealers “hand washing”. ;)

Process:
Washing - Foam bath with CGCW at paint prep ration and 2BM wash
Wheels - Sonax Full Effect Wheel cleaner on wheels with various brushes
Claying - Meguiar’s clay and ONR as lube
Paint Correction step 1 - Meguiars M105 via DA and Surbuf pads
Paint Correction step 2 - Meguiars M105 via DA and Meguiar’s MF pads
Paint Correction step 3 - Meguiars M205 via DA and LC tangerine foam pads
Prep for coating – Foam bath with CGCW and Optimum Power Clean followed by an IPA wipe-down
Paint protection – Optimum Opti-Guard, applied with foam applicator. (All paint, trim, and wheel coated)

The paint on this Porsche was actually VERY hard, which is not what I’ve typically experienced with Porsche paint and correction was slow going. I had to make several passes with the Surbuf pads/M105 to remove some of the deeper defects. The initial step finished down pretty well but did leave a slight haze and a LOT of dust. My second step with M105 and MF pads was to remove the marring and to chase down any remaining deep scratches…this left the paint pretty much LSP ready and the final finishing step with M205 went pretty quick.

Before pics
20110422-_MG_4495.jpg

Sonax doing its job.
20110422-_MG_4501.jpg

Paint condition
20110422-_MG_4502.jpg

20110422-_MG_4503.jpg

20110422-_MG_4508.jpg

20110422-_MG_4509.jpg

Deep scratches
20110422-_MG_4505.jpg

20110422-_MG_4507.jpg

50/50 shots after just the Surbuf….pics didn’t turn out very well. :(
20110422-_MG_4510.jpg

20110422-_MG_4511.jpg

20110422-_MG_4512.jpg

After M105 on the MF pads
20110423-_MG_4513.jpg

20110423-_MG_4514.jpg

looks awesome as always. Do you keep track of time on jobs like this? Like, do you know how long this took from start to finish?

^ Exactly what I was thinking.

I assume the type/make of buffer affects that. A more aggressive buffer will allow faster correction, but requires more skill to use.

Thanks guys!

I have a general idea of how much time each job takes, but I'm not punching in on a time clock or anything. My packages are based on an hourly rate and I set them up based on how fast I could get the job done, but i usually choose to take my time.

The above job was $850 and took me about 22hrs. So I didn't make my $50/hr rate, but this is only a side biz and it's really not all about the money for me. The way I look at it it's still money I wouldn't have made had I been sitting at home on the couch watching TV. :D

More aggressive polishers (rotary) do remove defects faster, but they also tend to require more refining steps to finish out hologram free, so often their is no time saved in using them. ;)

Cheers,
Rasky

I was thinking about this, and I never got a chance to ask. Have you ever had a problem happen on someone's car... accident, paint issue - whatever. Like, do you have to have some type of insurance to cover if something bad happened while the car was in your possession? Maybe you'd never had an incident though.

I was thinking about this, and I never got a chance to ask. Have you ever had a problem happen on someone's car... accident, paint issue - whatever. Like, do you have to have some type of insurance to cover if something bad happened while the car was in your possession? Maybe you'd never had an incident though.

Things happen, usually they are out of your control, but they happen very rarely. This is the only thing I've had happen in a long time and it was about 2 years ago. I had insurance, but the deductible was higher than my cost to repair so I paid out of pocket. The owner understood, was very cool, and I even did his wife's car at a later date. ;)

http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36199

Great work Chad!

I want to let all of you know who may not know Chad all that well, that he is one of the best in the business and a total class act! AWESOME WORK!!

2008 C63 paint correction and clear bra removal

Client recently purchased this car and wanted to get it looking new again. The clear bra was yellowed and detracted from the cars appearance so we decided to remove it as well. The paint was in average condition for the year with moderate swirls and a few RIDS. The color made it very difficult to capture defects so you’ll have to take my word for it on the before condition. ;)

Process:
Wash - Foam bath with Chemical Guys Citrus Wash
Wheels – Sonax Full Effect Wheel Cleaner using various brushes.
Tires – Optimum Power Clean
Chrome tips – Optimum Metal polish and #0000 steel wool
Paint correction step 1 – Meguiar’s M105 via rotary polisher and LC PFW pads
Paint correction step 2 – Meguiars M105 via DA polisher and tangerine LC pads
Paint correction step 3 – Menzerna 106fa via rotary polisher and crimson LC pads
Paint protection – Blackfire Wet Diamond
Tires – Meguiar’s Hyper Dressing at 3:1
Wheels – Sealed with Optimum Opti-Seal
Glass – Meguiar’s D120

Before pics….(hopefully you can see some of the swirls/marring)

Yellowed Clear Bra
C63.jpg

C63-3.jpg

Door edges too….I love clear bra!
C63-4.jpg

Swirls….
C63-7.jpg

C63-11.jpg

C63-14.jpg

50/50….not that you can see much
C63-15.jpg

Pillar trim showed the condition better ;)
C63-16.jpg

C63-17.jpg

Trim corrected
C63-19.jpg

C63-20.jpg

did you actually end up removing the paint protection on it? Was your comment about it - that you really hate it?

Thanks! :)

Webby I removed all the film. It wasn't too bad but your hands/fingers get really sore! :)

I hate PPF!!!

Here is a video on removing the film. ;)

man, have you ever used a heat gun? I've only ever seen someone actually remove ppf with heat prior to pulling. It would at least soften the adhesive up slightly

Back