Rear Sway Bar Bushing Upgrade

Dar-Dar

Mordorator
North NJ
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
Fiji Blue Pearl Coupe Coolest Member Since: May 15, 2011
If you already have the Progress 22mm or 24mm Progress rear sway bar (or any other upgrade rear sway bar) and upgraded endlinks, you may not have enough to get the most from that sway bar upgrade. I currently purchased a 22mm Progress rear sway bar and I noticed that the sway bar bushing material was pretty soft for bushings that are meant to be used for a high performing product. I measured the hardness of the bushings and they had a shore A durometer of 70-75, which is just about the same as the rubber on OEM bushings.

So I found a better alternative to the sway bar bushings that Progress provides. It turns out that the MOOG Universal sway bar bushings are perfect upgrades for my 22mm Progress sway bar. These bushings are stiffer with a hardness durometer reading of 90.

Comparison between MOOG 22mm and PROGRESS 22mm:

Both bushing/brackets are very similar in size.
IMG_3389_zps03003a48.jpg

IMG_3390_zps6d05372a.jpg

Both brackets have slotted holes with the same offset so fitment will be the same and no modification will be required.
IMG_3391_zps15c211c7.jpg

The MOOG bracket is stiffer and more reinforced with the curved edges. Less flex on the bracket.
IMG_3393_zps31239766.jpg

The MOOG bushing is wider.
IMG_3394_zps619a2cc8.jpg

Progress bushing has ridges in the hole. MOOG bushing is completely smooth.
IMG_3396_zpsaffb0660.jpg

IMG_3399_zps7ff95573.jpg

Im guessing the ridges in the Progress sway bar bushings are for the grease to seep through.
IMG_3400_zps40d49587.jpg

In my opinion, the MOOG bushings/brackets are great upgrade for upgraded sway bars. With the stiffer material, there will be less sway bar play on the bushings. This means that the bar will be clasped on tight and the bushing will always remain compressed. The MOOG bushings also do not squeak or require lubrication because of the high abrasion resistance.

This bushing upgrade can also be done on the front sway bars. Since it is not really required for FWD cars to get a sway bar upgrade, stiffening up the front sway bar bushings will suffice for an improved handling that isn't costly. I'm not sure what part number it is for the 2012+ Civics though. I can't seem to find it.

I have not installed the sway bar on my car so I cannot tell you how it will feel with either bushings installed. I don't think I'll even bother putting the Progress say bar bushings/brackets. So the sway bar will be installed with the MOOG ones.

The part number for the 22mm is: K90397.

The part number for the 24mm is: K90399.

Here is the actual link with all of MOOG's universal sway bar bushing kits: http://www.moog-suspension-parts.com/Universal-Sway-Bar-Bushings.asp

Test fitment on the sway bar:
IMG_3414_zps0f807baf.jpg

Both sway bar bushings have the same amount of gap when uncompressed.
IMG_3417_zps98bd4709.jpg

IMG_3418_zpscea33437.jpg

IMG_3419_zpsfbdad740.jpg

IMG_3420_zps528015f6.jpg

thanks for the comparison pics & testing it out - very nice

Thanks guys. These are very inexpensive parts that can definitely improve handling much more. I can't wait to install the sway bar with the MOOG universal bushings and end links. The endlinks are expensive though. Lol.

For those people who prefer to grease (instead of teflon tape) their bushings, the Progress version is going to have longer service intervals due to that bushing design.

Why? - Take a look at the inside of the Progress bushing, the grooves in bushing will help keep the applied grease in those channels.

I have the MOOG front sway bars bushings installed on my car for a few months now (not greased) and they don't squeak. Even in the frigid cold temps.

Curious if these are easy to replace,my eibachs squeak like crazy in the cold and it drives me crazy

**More pics on OP**
Curious if these are easy to replace,my eibachs squeak like crazy in the cold and it drives me crazy
They should be very easy to replace. It will probably take like 10-15min with the proper tools. Just be sure you check that chart to find the correct part number with the proper I.D. size, @bobshur .

These are reference pics of the 22mm installed on immajackuup's 2012 Civic Si:
1t5t1g_zps3171dbe1.jpg

2rpxws7_zpsd958777b.jpg

You can see that there are gaps on each side between the Progress bushing and the stopping plates. With the MOOG bushings, there will be less horizontal movement on the sway bar bc the MOOG bushings have a little bit of extrusion that will close those gaps. The fitment will be snug.

Do you have the moog endlinks as well?
No, I do not. I'm planning on getting those depending if I want to spend the money or not. Lol. They are pricey.

***UPDATE***

I installed the Progress 22mm RSB with Moog bushings/brackets installed. The MOOG bushings left zero gaps by the stopping plates. The fitment looks perfect and I just need to take the car out on a spin.
zu8ahu6e.jpg

umutemyd.jpg

I just drove the car around for like 5-10min. There were no squeaks at all with these non-lubed bushings. I was literally driving over bumps, small potholes, and bumps formed by compressed snow. And it's 25F outside too.

Back