Rear Sway Bar Bushing Upgrade

I've had two brackets break. I was considering having billet aluminum brackets made but then that'd just put stress elsewhere and could cause issues with something that isn't as easy to replace as a bracket.

Edit: Torqued to spec.

Last edited:
I've had 1 break as well. The replacement held up for the past year, but I just replaced my Moogs with Energy greasable bushings. It was just too much of a pain to take these off the Moogs and grease them. And if I didn't grease them every once in a while, they would start binding. I keep seeing torque specs mentioned, but I didn't see them listed so they're:
Si: 36 lb-ft
non-Si: 16 lb-ft

Regarding the front sway bar bushings; I was thinking of using the Energy suspension 21mm along with the Progress reinforced bushing brackets. Any idea if this combo with compensate for ES bushings being smaller than the OE bushing?

Last edited:
So I played around with doing the front sway bar bushings with the Moogs 21mm universal bushing. In the end, I stuck with the stock bushings.

It is a pain in the butt to get to the bolts, but do-able. The passenger side is easier than the drivers side as there is not much clearance around the bolts. The passenger side has some wire bundles routed above the bushing and the drivers side had the starter(I believe) right above the bushing. I didn't even try to take out the drivers side bushing but I did manage to loosen and tighten the bolts. The only tool that would work was the ratcheting wrench, but was still difficult. An angled/flexible ratcheting wrench would be best.

From the pictures below, the Moogs bushing is not tall enough, not wide enough and not "beefy" enough. As you can see from the pics the bottom half of the Moog bushing need to be 1-2mm taller, the whole bushings needs to be 2-3mm wider and frankly it just looks puny and not thick enough material surrounding the front sway bar area.

Not sure what I will do with the 21mm Moogs bushing now. Might return it and see if Moogs would be willing to make something that would work.

If someone wants to give them a shot instead of running the stock ones, let me know and I will send them to you.

I was wondering when you were down there, do you think there's enough room to wiggle that front sway bar out without dropping the subframe? Say by removing the wheels, bushings and brackets first?

Back