Remote Start System Retrofit Questions

No, I bought the harness from Amazon because it was only a few bucks over $20; I felt it was worth the risk as it was 80% less than any Honda Dealer. But, everything checked out and came in a sealed Honda Parts box and everything inside was sealed (I bought the harness from Amazon, the Remote Starter Module from Honda Parts Direct, and the Ambient Lighting Kit from College Hills Honda - I was trying different companies to see which was the best overall experience). Also, looking at those pictures, they all show the same bracket except for 100B which is listed as not being compatible with the '12 Si; in fact, they're all listed for later model years which still leads me to believe that there was a minor redesign that didn't get completely vetted. Either that, or my car is partially a '13 being that it was built in October of 2012. It is all really odd; but, if the bracket is the only concern, it is a pretty minor issue. I'd be interested in buying a different bracket to try it out if I could get it without all the other bits.

well I hope the programming goes smooth at honda and everything works out well

As do I, booked an appointment for Wednesday next week (it was the first day available) so we'll see how it goes. I'll update the thread when all is said and done (it may help someone in the future, who knows); and, honestly, I don't really expect any problems, everything plugged in properly and in the locations specified in the instructions. Only the bracket was an issue. Although, I'll admit, if the system doesn't work, I'm not sure how I'm going to handle that as I have a fair amount of money invested into this install.

So, I had the car at the dealer today to have my remote start fobs programmed to enable the remote start feature. Unfortunately, they can't get it to work. The fobs are paired with the car and give the basic readout on vehicle status (engine off, doors locked/unlocked, etc); however, the service writer said it won't work with a manual car as there is nothing in the programming to bypass the clutch safety switch. No matter what I explained, that the parts purchased were direct from Honda, they were the proper ones for the car per the accessories listing, etc, it didn't matter because HDS did not allow for a clutch bypass feature and it won't work.

I figured this would be a simple fix where I could just jumper past the clutch safety switch and I'd be on my way. Well, I tested this theory by locking myself in the car, holding the clutch down, and attempting to conduct a remote start from within the car. Well, I could hear solenoids firing for all 3 start attempt sequences; but, unfortunately, no actual start of the car took place (the starter was never actually triggered). So, now, I'm thinking either I did something wrong (which I am 99% sure I did not, install was fairly straight forward), something is broken, or the system truly is not compatible with the car.

Any one have any ideas/suggestions on how to get this actually working?

If any one is curious, Honda said programming the fob was ~$65 each which leads to the only bright side of this whole ordeal today. Honda did not charge me the $130 bill I was quoted when I dropped the car off as they couldn't get things to work properly; so, at least I didn't have to pay even more than I already have for something that isn't working.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, they can't get it to work.
did you try the process the others said they had to do for manual cars?

mine there is a 4 step process you need to follow within a 20 second window everytime you go to turn off the car if you want the remote starter to be "engaged" (ie: usable). You need to shift into neutral, pull the e-brake, release the regular brake, and then push a button on the keychain remote. If you do any of these steps out of order or take longer than 20 seconds then the remote starter won't engage.

Yes, to the best of my abilities, I tried to do that (as I had seen that in another thread); but, it would help to know which button to press and on which fob. I tried it different ways to try and get it to work; the system just beeps at me with no starting.

Oh, and to add, in that thread, the OP said the car would keep running, even after removing the key, until the door was locked. I tried all three buttons on the remote start fob without luck; every time I pulled the key, the engine would turn off. Maybe I’m doing something wrong in the procedure?

To add insult to injury, Paul (collegehillshonda) provided me this even though the website says things are compatible (he’s going to get that corrected now):

Attachments

• 55FF1D22-8F70-40A7-BDD0-071FA6ED0A32.png
    55FF1D22-8F70-40A7-BDD0-071FA6ED0A32.png
    90.3 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Also, I forwarded a link to the Remote Start thread from 2012 to Paul and he explained that some dealers will install an aftermarket unit; however, most (including CHH) will not. So, I made the mistake of assuming that the OP in that thread had a factory unit installed; rereading the thread, the OP never said it was a Honda unit (at least, I don't remember seeing it).

I guess I need to figure out how to tell the remote start module that the car is in "Park" even though there is no sensor for it. Any ideas here?

Last edited:
Ok, looking over the schematics for the remote start system (I probably should have done this before the install; too late for that now), I can convince the car it is in "Park" by bypassing the clutch safety switch (see Page 21 - it is just grounding the same wire). However, given what I attempted to do earlier (remote starting with the clutch pressed in), that leads me to believe another signal is either not grounded or not sensed.

So, looking at Page 21-3, I think the Start Relay Coil signal from the Remote Starting Control Unit is not being sensed to fire the Start Relay; the question is, why?

I have gone over the schematics (and even the reference points in other parts of the book) to try and see what makes sense, I'm a little stumped.

I have included the starting schematics here, maybe you will see something I am not.
Page 21 - Normal starting circuit:
IMG_3154.JPG

Page 21-1 - Page 1 of Remote Start:
IMG_3155.JPG

Page 21-2 - Page 2 of Remote Start:
IMG_3156.JPG

Page 21-3 - Page 3 of Remote Start:
IMG_3157.JPG

Page 21-4 - Page 4 of Remote Start:
IMG_3158.JPG

Page 21-5 - Page 5 of Remote Start:
IMG_3159.JPG

Page 21-6 - Page 6 of Remote Start:
IMG_3160.JPG

Page 21-7 - Page 7 of Remote Start, the Rules for the system to operate:
IMG_3161.JPG

Last edited:
Thank you for the suggestion; I started a conversation to see if he can help.

Back