DIY Removing Headlight Amber Reflector Corners

marinse

I wanted to post this up because I had not seen it done in many 2015 coupes - most of what I found were 2014 or below. It turns out the process is the same as previous 9th gens but as a refresher here is how you remove the ugly orange corners in the headlights.

Disclaimer: I take zero responsibility if you mess up.

1) Take headlight off the car.
2) Take all the bulbs out as well as the rubber seals for the low/high beams. Remove the large bottom bracket (if you removed it from the car as well).
3) Remove the 4 screws around the edge of the rear of the headlight and 1 screw on the back plate by near the high beam.
4) Preheat kitchen oven to 230 degrees in bake setting - NOT broil.
5) Placing wood planks on the oven (so that plastic doesn't touch metal) place the headlight in the oven and let it bake for 12 minutes.

***Very important that no parts of the headlight touch any metal oven pieces or they will be damaged. I would avoid placing the headlight upside down also as more head would directly hit the front lens.

6) Take the headlight out and rest it on a table with a towel so it keeps it from sliding around.
7) Wearing mechanic gloves and a wide flat screw driver begin opening the headlight apart by easily working your way through the edge (between the transparent front and black rear pieces. Take it nice and easy, you don't want to break any tabs.
***You will see little tabs throughout the edge of the light, DON"T break them, simply pull them back a little so they release the front.
***IMPORTANT not to let any melted sealant go inside the headlight as it'll get stuck on and won't be easy to remove.
***As you're taking the front and rear apart from each other, conserve the sealant that is being stretched out. You can simply stick it back to the edges where it was stretched from - you will reuse this sealant.

8) Once you have it open, the orange corner will be attached on the clear front of the headlight. You need to take 4 screws out and the reflector and amber corner will pop out.
9) Put the aluminum reflector back in on the front of the headlight with 2 screws.
10) Using a heat gun or your oven again (see step 4 + 5 for only 5 minutes this time) - reheat the sealant around both the rear and front covers of the headlight. You want it to be sticky so it seals properly.
11) Re-assemble the front and back together, make sure all the tabs snap back in, then put the 5 screws back in the headlight.
DONE!

This is the finished product:

My Si
by Sebastian Marin, on Flickr

Not sure it needs to be stated but this would be the same process for sedan headlights.

Glad I could help, definitely makes it look so much better. The orange corner is huge!

I'm so afraid to do this LOL. I worry the most about the sealant and not doing it correctly and moisture getting in ;( I want to do this though. Who wants to help? lol

I'm so afraid to do this LOL. I worry the most about the sealant and not doing it correctly and moisture getting in ;( I want to do this though. Who wants to help? lol

Buy extra sealant, it's really not that hard to do.

Back