Replaced torsion bars with hood springs

The thread started by Marc Meyers

Thanks for the post, I have just gotten back into the upgrade, I'm looking to do this next. Im working on my post of my amp install. How heavy is the trunk lid without the spring?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I found some short lift supports at McMaster Carr, they are only 6" long and have 40lbs of force. They don't lift the trunk, but they hold it open and snug right up under the rear deck.

11d162e0099acb1b7561e6d7e591dddd.jpg

7576bf66038689cf788be009dc86cb64.jpg

I order some different supports last night, 60 & 80lbs, want to see if they will lift it. I'll give an up date when I get them. I'll also get the part number and add them.

I bet the 80 would work for people using aftermarket spoilers.

thank you so much for this i installed a aftermarket subwoofer and enclosure in the factory location and the springs hit the box. is the part number for the strut for the 80lb ones?

thank you so much for this i installed a aftermarket subwoofer and enclosure in the factory location and the springs hit the box. is the part number for the strut for the 80lb ones?

It is the same part number for all, just select the size (lbs) you want. I did install two. One each side. And I didn't cut any liner just folded it under.

i just caught that on checkout. should i order the higher rated struts? what could it hurt? did u have a hard time removing the stock springs?

i just caught that on checkout. should i order the higher rated struts? what could it hurt? did u have a hard time removing the stock springs?

I just got 60 & 80lbs supports in mail. The 60 hold more firmly, but still let the truck fall if not full open. The 80lb hold the lid open til about half, then it will fall shut. I'm leaving the 80 installed. And yes the torsion bars are hard to get out. I used the handle of my channel locks. There's a lot of tension.

Last edited:
Another nice thing about this, it only cost $36 and took less than an hour.

Back