Resonator Deleted

V_Kam

Detroit
Vehicle Model
Civic SI
Body Style
4-door
I removed the resonator from my intake this past weekend. It was a good move, that in part with the Hondata reflash seem to be working real nice together. The resonator just popped off from where the resonator meets with the bottom airbox hose and elbowed to the wheel well. Almost like it was designed for it, i didn't have to saw or cut anything at all. It has a great sound now too, not loud during regular driving only when you punch it. I posted a couple pics and link vid for youtube. In the video my hood was up so you do get some additional engine noise but you can def hear a 'Whoompf' type sound 8-) I'll put more in the DIY section later.

nws audio at the end

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIt8wNDXEJw

Nexus Pics 779.jpg
Nexus Pics 809.jpg

bit of a diagram from Nix -

If you want to experiment a little bit.... Pull the intake resonator and put in a high flow filter. It's similar to a CAI but with the higher filter location and stock airbox you have less chance of hydrolock. It will perform better than a short ram. Here's a pic from majestic honda.

14ts8c01_b0106.png

You would remove the part after the elbow in the box labeled 10.
I did it to my 8th and it made a huge difference. Also I found the "new" intake location to be very well shielded. I dropped the bumper to get mine out but I think you can also do it by removing the wheel and fender liner. Looks like bolt #21 in box 7 is the only thing holding it down. Tight fit im sure. If you want to experiment jump over the border to Rochester and Id love to take a look with you. Let me know.

Very nice. Going to do this when I take off the bumper. Looks like you removed the snorkle going up into the engine bay as well. Anything to be aware of (hidden bolts or some parts just need elbow grease?)?

Not really,really straight forward. I know your prob taking off the bumper for something else but you dont need to for this mod. All the bolts are visible, then you just wiggle off the resonater, it will come right off. Yeah the snorkel drew air right from underneath the battery and then goes over the wheel amost up into the fender where it draws air from there too.
I didn't smooth out the air box because there wasn't that many extra ridges in there and didnt make sense to me to do that when you examine the way air moves through it. I have a KN&N filter too.

Good stuff. Appreciate the info. Yep, going to attempt to do a HID retrofit and figured I would try this out at the same time. Reminds me of what the Mugen intake looked like on the 8th gen. On the non-mugen 8th gen the tube had to be extended to get it to where you showed in your picture. Really awesome.

Did you do an ECU reset after the mod? - remove battery power for 15mins and then run the car at idle for 10mins?

I already had the reflash from Hondata, so I didnt have to reset. It's alrady programmed to their specs. I'm sure an intake mod works well with the reflash, at least i think it so far. It's only been 3 days. My original intention was to bend it toward the bumper because there is space there but because it's square I just left it. There was plenty of room for air to get in there from behind the wheel well moulding and from the ground, so i just left it.

Very nice! How does the throttle response feel? Any improvement in mileage? I notice mine go up a bit when I pulled it off. You can also run a k&n high flow filter for a little more gain. You essentially have a CAI now with a higher filter placement. Should run less of a chance of hydrolock since there is not a filter element to soak with spray down there.

yeah i did the res delete on both my subies before tuning... easy to do . so whats the butt dyno telling you?lol

Does it connect to anything in there? If not, I was going to delete that along with #6 except #20

It does not appear to connect to anything. A lot of the chambers and additional piping like that are for sound control. Those in particular say they are just air in. I think it is just a secondary intake location.

Yep secondary location you can also remove the black shroud running along the left fender only there to cover the bay intake.

Hmm, what do you guys think about #10. Big difference if that was removed as well? Doesn't look like it narrows the air way cause restrictions, then again it curves. It's also pointing away from the radiator, hmmmm is it shielded enough where water wont settle?

10 is the only thing bringing in cold air from the fender area but removing it would help avoid water intake as it does sit pretty low you could remove 10 and rotate 9 to point towards the left fender for a little colder air

I deleted mine last week. To me, that diagram makes it look more complicated than it is. I'll post some pics tomorrow to show. once disconnected from #10, it comes off in one piece. No need to take off bumper just like he said. the fender liner is very flexible, so don't think you're going to break it. I took off most but not all of the clips and just bent it out of my way. I've driven about 100 miles with it so far with no issues. It is shielded enough that if you do have to drive in the rain, just the spray from the road shouldn't be an issue. Thankfully it doesn't rain much in S. California lol

Thanks guys, will try this within the week. :) Will appreciate the pics of other angles if you do get a chance to post them Shawn

Thanks guys, will try this within the week. :) Will appreciate the pics of other angles if you do get a chance to post them Shawn
well V_Kam took some good pics of it in the fender, and there aren't really any other angles, but I will take a pic of the entire section that was removed. I'll try and knock that out tonight.

Back