Resonator Deleted

i'm not quite sure how the intake would be "worse" though, simply because it is basically astock airbox with a cone filter crammed into it, unless they totally botched the MAF placement or something

only if you are fording a river... honestly you won't pull water in unless the water is basically above your fog lights, and in that case, the car is probably boned anyway

no, regardless of what intake you go with... no check engine lights will come on.

I deleted mine last week. To me, that diagram makes it look more complicated than it is. I'll post some pics tomorrow to show. once disconnected from #10, it comes off in one piece. No need to take off bumper just like he said. the fender liner is very flexible, so don't think you're going to break it. I took off most but not all of the clips and just bent it out of my way. I've driven about 100 miles with it so far with no issues. It is shielded enough that if you do have to drive in the rain, just the spray from the road shouldn't be an issue. Thankfully it doesn't rain much in S. California lol

Unless I need to read the 52 messages below this one to be convinced otherwise, we get lots of rain in NJ and it puddles. I don't wnat my car to ingest water. It looks like this delete would be a good way to introduce water to the engine from deep surprise puddling that you can't get away from -- Rte 1 comes to mind.

I'm debating, when I install my aFe in a few days should I remove the resonator or keep it in there since it was designed with it? help me out guyss

for the 1-3 hp you may gain.....ive decided its not worth the risk

what risk? the resonator was designed to inhibit sound mostly for the masses... the only "damage" it may cause would be if you completely submerged the thing in water, and unless you are fording a river, there's really no shot at that. resonator deletion also leaves the filter up high in the normal location, thus the filter would never be submerged

what risk? the resonator was designed to inhibit sound mostly for the masses... the only "damage" it may cause would be if you completely submerged the thing in water, and unless you are fording a river, there's really no shot at that. resonator deletion also leaves the filter up high in the normal location, thus the filter would never be submerged
Where does a res-delete setup pull air from?

It would be very hard to hydro lock your car even in big puddles with this mod. I've driven with mine off for almost 2 years now and haven't had an issue. I was super paranoid about it the first few weeks after I removed it.

Whenever it rained on my way to work I would immediately pull into the parking garage, pop the hood, and pull the filter out. I was constantly checking it to see if any water had made its way up to the filter. I also stuck my hand down the airbox as far as I could and tried to feel around for any water drops. Even after and during decent storms and long drives in the rain I never found any.

You can also cut and glue some sections of clear plexi-glass under the new intake location. I did to block some of the holes in the under bumper skid plate area. I have since removed that as well without issue. Water just doesn't really get up in there and you would have other problems first if the water was deep enough.

(You would be stuck and we would see you getting rescued on the weather channel)

It would be very hard to hydro lock your car even in big puddles with this mod. I've driven with mine off for almost 2 years now and haven't had an issue. I was super paranoid about it the first few weeks after I removed it.

Whenever it rained on my way to work I would immediately pull into the parking garage, pop the hood, and pull the filter out. I was constantly checking it to see if any water had made its way up to the filter. I also stuck my hand down the airbox as far as I could and tried to feel around for any water drops. Even after and during decent storms and long drives in the rain I never found any.

You can also cut and glue some sections of clear plexi-glass under the new intake location. I did to block some of the holes in the under bumper skid plate area. I have since removed that as well without issue. Water just doesn't really get up in there and you would have other problems first if the water was deep enough.

(You would be stuck and we would see you getting rescued on the weather channel)
All those concerned about hydrolock:

Think about drinking through a straw. Once you lift the straw just barely out of the liquid, you have a VERY hard time sucking any liquid even if half the opening is submerged. Same goes for a straw that has even a tiny hole in it, from like a kink or something similar. That's because air has much lower resistance to flow than water does. So, unless you dip the whole damn intake tube in DEEP water and unless that tube is completely and totally sealed all the way to the engine, you won't be getting enough water to hydrolock.

Back