Reverse gear noise

K24_member101

Well I had an account but idk what I used to sign up with anyways I'm K24_member101

Anyways. I noticed the other day and today leaving work that coming out of reverse there is a loud clunk noise but only when shifting out of reverse no other gear does this. When it's cold some gears are a little rougher but no noise. Only when I'm done backing up and I shift out of reverse.

edit : sorry i didnt add this in first i was typing on my phone and forgot some details

2013 civic si coupe
54k miles

Last edited:
mileage? Last time you changed your manual transmission fluid?

barely over 54k miles and i havnt changed really any fluids besides my routine ones like oil and stuff.

i do most work by myself but one thing ive never really touched under the hood is anything tranny wise..

Quite a few people do their trans fluid every other oil change. Some do it every 36k miles. I don't have a maintenance thing handy, but I believe honda has it at 36k for the si.

I'd highly ...highly suggest using honda manual trans fluid. Others have tried a LOT of brands and had oil analysis done on it from laboratories. Honda MTF has pretty much been tops, and by a large margin on other brands. Some people have almost immediately drained other brands they tried after it just made their car grind gears terribly.

http://9thcivic.com/forum/threads/2012-civic-si-manual-transmission-fluid-change.7098/

thank u i was unaware of the need to do it so frequently because this was my first manual tranny car. and never heard of anything really other then the general oil and other fluid checks but not really change out.. thank u

is there a cheaper tranny fluid i can swap it with for a few miles to make it till the weekend and i can get some actual honda fluid ?

I wouldn't worry about doing it till the weekend. Just make sure you're completely stopped before switching gears to minimize any grinding

Is honda fluid the best fluid for our car or all tranny fluid cause I got the truck in the garage for a lower control arm replacement and that's a 6 speed as well might as well get her done too

Nah it’s just the best for your si. A lot of cars/trucks can be very particular about what mtf you use. Definitely check your manual or look online and see what viscosity the other vehicle requires. Also make sure to use the proper gl4/gl5 or whatever it says to use. Certain metals in the trans can react with the wrong fluid. For example, brass synchros can be destroyed with gl5 (if the vehicle has them). So, look up what the manufacturer of that other vehicle specs to use.

Nah it’s just the best for your si. A lot of cars/trucks can be very particular about what mtf you use. Definitely check your manual or look online and see what viscosity the other vehicle requires. Also make sure to use the proper gl4/gl5 or whatever it says to use. Certain metals in the trans can react with the wrong fluid. For example, brass synchros can be destroyed with gl5 (if the vehicle has them). So, look up what the manufacturer of that other vehicle specs to use.
Thank you

big thank u. got 2 quarts of oem honda man. tranny fluid shifts like butter. thread can be closed or left open either way big thank you for saving alot of time and money later on lol

Back