Reverse Grinds

connorsaj

Pittsburgh, PA
Vehicle Model
Civic
Body Style
4 Door Si
New to driving a manual transmission... Can anyone tell me why on my '12 Si Sedan that when I shift into reverse, if the car is not at a complete stop the transmission grinds? It only happened once because as soon as a heard it I stopped and it freaked me out, every time I put the car in reverse now I make sure it is at a complete stop. I was just wondering since 1-6 obviously do not do this.

There are no syncros for reverse like 1-6. You need to stop to avoid the grind. The teeth are trying to go from a forward rotation to a reverse rotation. If you're not rolling, the teeth will/should go right in without grinding. Even then you may have to put it into 4th or 6th while stopped, and then reverse if it doesn't want to engage.

yeah.....pretty much standard procedure on any manual car. Happy shifting!

Every once in a while I do it, because I'm lazy and forget. Although it sounds bad, what little amount of grind that occurred should not have caused any major damage.

yeah, it only happens with the reverse gear. You'll get used to it.

Thanks for all the input, glad to hear despite the awful noise the chance of any substantial damage is small.

Back