Rusty CALIPER, warranty claim?

skyfox23

Anyone else have this going on? I know the rotors will get rusty when washed or rained on, but the caliper? I only have 1 that looks like this to. Weird, I don't think it's suppose to look like this, the caliper anyway, and it's only 1 of them too. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353877301.200554.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1353877317.001330.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1353877334.570721.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1353877349.036009.jpg

No only took ones of the affected one. And for some reason it only uploaded 3 of the 4 on my phone? Maybe there's 4 there??

I don't really look at my calipers when i go to my car, so I'm not sure what they are supposed to look like. But I agree, yours looks awfully rusted already.

Yeah that's what I thought, I mean rotor is one thing, quite normal actually, but the actual caliper I'm pretty sure is not suppose to look like that. And I'm impeccable when it comes to taking care of my car, I've owned it 14 months now and it's been clayed,sealed,and waxed 4 times already and I'm about to do it again in December so one things for damn sure it's not from neglect on my part, lol. Well I call dealer tomorrow and see what they say, they've went to bat for me on other warranty claims so I'm hoping much the same.

What State do you live in ? Utah salt-flats , or near the coast, etc. ?

The only thing I can see that will solve the problem is to have it(them) sand-blasted(bead), and coated with anti rust primer and then repainted......... If it happens to mine I think that will be my plan.......... Even if you get them to replace that one part, it's going to be stock. I think I'd just have it done correctly(all four) and pick a colour I like...........

Another thing ........... It says not to wash those calipers with wheel cleaner, I use car wash soap....... Just saying.......

The ones on my car are totally rusted looking. Happens unless you paint/powder coat them. Unless it's effecting the function of the brake I don't think they will do anything "warranty" on it. Sucks cause of how it looks though.

Seems odd just one looks that bad. I'm going to have to look at my car later. I've had older cars in a snow belt area that didn't look like that. Rust on the rotors, but not there.

Yup only 1 looks like this, and I don't use wheel cleaner NEVER have. I live in Oregon and yeah it rains but its on the caliper NOT the rotor. Function or not it looks like **** and why would it only be on 1? I don't think it's normal, well see what the dealer says?!

Went out to look and I have vehicles over 6yrs old they don't have rust on them (unpainted). I know I cannot be the only one here.

Went out to look and I have vehicles over 6yrs old they don't have rust on them (unpainted). I know I cannot be the only one here.

I know you can't be the only one either. I looked at my girlfriends 08 Fit that has untainted calipers on the front and not a spot of corrosion and its over 4 years old. What gives?? I really hope dealership fixes this, it's not right for it to be like this in 14 months of pampered ownership, I've clayed, sealed, and waxed my Si 4 times in that 14 months and I'm doing it again next month, I know it's not like that from me neglecting it!!!!

Well I'm pretty upset as some of you were right as the dummy service manager called district and who knows what he told them, hell he could have told them my drums or rotors are rusty for all I know, he doesn't seem too knowledgeable, and he said district manager said it was normal. Even he said it looks "terrible" Sure don't feel like he tried very hard if even he thinks they look terrible, I explained my girlfriends 08 Fit don't look like this and let's go look at the other Si's that are here. As I noticed right off the bat they all had a brilliant silver painted finish to them, mine do not look like they were EVER painted!!!! Mine just don't look like that! He told me well these Si have no miles on them, so you mean to tell me that in 14 months and 7700 miles my paint evaporated completely and so uniformly I might add!!! WTH??? So he gives me the number to Corporate or customer relations to call, why is this my responsibility? I need something done! Went to a body shop for a quote and they didn't want to do it cause I felt they thought such a little job was beneath them!! They said "oh, well anything we put on there will flake off, you need to powder coat them" not sure what I need to do, but something as I'm very displeased with how it looks!!!

I'll give my .02. I don't think Honda is painting them, I think the finish you're seeing on them is just from them being on the lot and brand new. To me, it looks like it's just a cast metal finish. Anyways, I live in central Maine where the weather is HARSH and these are how mine look after ~5,000 miles. I would suggest cleaning them with a wire brush and painting them with some high temp caliper paint, that's probably the route I'll take.

IMG_20121127_102531_658.jpg

IMG_20121127_102540_758.jpg

IMG_20121127_102547_115.jpg

IMG_20121127_102554_462.jpg

I'll give my .02. I don't think Honda is painting them, I think the finish you're seeing on them is just from them being on the lot and brand new. To me, it looks like it's just a cast metal finish. Anyways, I live in central Maine where the weather is HARSH and these are how mine look after ~5,000 miles. I would suggest cleaning them with a wire brush and painting them with some high temp caliper paint, that's probably the route I'll take.

IMG_20121127_102531_658.jpg

IMG_20121127_102540_758.jpg

IMG_20121127_102547_115.jpg

IMG_20121127_102554_462.jpg

Yeah our finish is pretty similar. Wow there's not ANY rust on yours at ALL. I just don't understand how mine look like they do when your climate is probably a hell of a lot more harsh than mine. They do need painted or something but I'm paying someone to do it and I want it done right so it don't come back. Stupid body shop I went to said that even high temp paint won't last, I'm not sure what to do other than obvisoisly try another shop, and I would prefer them being removed from the Si to prevent over spray, what a pain I don't know how to remove the darn brakes, guess pay dealer to remove them and pay someone to paint them and pay dealer to re-install?

Yeah our finish is pretty similar. Wow there's not ANY rust on yours at ALL. I just don't understand how mine look like they do when your climate is probably a hell of a lot more harsh than mine. They do need painted or something but I'm paying someone to do it and I want it done right so it don't come back. Stupid body shop I went to said that even high temp paint won't last, I'm not sure what to do other than obvisoisly try another shop, and I would prefer them being removed from the Si to prevent over spray, what a pain I don't know how to remove the darn brakes, guess pay dealer to remove them and pay someone to paint them and pay dealer to re-install?

Removal is easy. Re-installing them requires knowledge of bleeding the brake lines, but isn't very hard to learn. If you are into tinkering with your car, I think this would be a great place to start and learn. And, if you take them off yourself, you can paint them yourself and it would cost you less than $50 for paint and brake fluid as opposed to having someone powder coat them.

Bottom line is that factory calipers are bare metal and will eventually rust, though. Some earlier than others.

Yeah mine are WAY earlier than others!! Still think it sucks. Not into tinkering with my car, between work, gym, school, and cold *** weather I'm just gonna pay someone to do it, just who yet I don't know. I want it done right so it doesn't happen again.

Just because taking them off is something I wouldn't want to do more than once, I'd get someone to at least give you a quote on powder coating before you make any decisions.

you have another dealership you could visit? Not sure what's local to you

Back