Rusty CALIPER, warranty claim?

Getting them powder coated I would "assume" they would prep the metal before PC'ing it, since you're having it done over rust. and power coating has a good reputation for being durable.

Yeah from what I understand he cleans, preps, blasts, and costs my calipers. I'll know more tonight when I drop them off. I'm a little nervous but that's just me, lol

Yeah from what I understand he cleans, preps, blasts, and costs my calipers. I'll know more tonight when I drop them off. I'm a little nervous but that's just me, lol
Let us know how much $$$$ after it's done, I'd like to have mine done just for some colour.

I will do!! They are off and in a box and ready to be dropped off tonight! Just hope dealership takes care of my car over weekend. I'm at the dealership and a guy just told me they scraped his bumper on his new Accord, oh man gonna be a long weekend for me now

I will do!! They are off and in a box and ready to be dropped off tonight! Just hope dealership takes care of my car over weekend. I'm at the dealership and a guy just told me they scraped his bumper on his new Accord, oh man gonna be a long weekend for me now

Fortunately yours will be left the whole time in one spot, since there are no brakes on it, and possibly no wheels.

Yeah no wheels either, curious if they remember the proper tire rotation when they took them off? Reason I'm so skeptical here is cause when I brought my Si in the service adviser asked me what year my Si was??? R u kidding me what year is it??? Wow come on its the first year of a new generation and the 13's are not out yet, it's common sense to at least me anyways, I mean they work at the dealership for heavens sake they should know the vehicles better than that!!!!! IMO

I'd pass with flying colors, lol
I know my OWN vehicle inside and out as I'm sure most of you do to! You know like where all the insignificant little blemishes are, where you want your seat and mirrors, where it usually idles at normal operating temperature etc,etc

Yeah no wheels either, curious if they remember the proper tire rotation when they took them off? Reason I'm so skeptical here is cause when I brought my Si in the service adviser asked me what year my Si was??? R u kidding me what year is it??? Wow come on its the first year of a new generation and the 13's are not out yet, it's common sense to at least me anyways, I mean they work at the dealership for heavens sake they should know the vehicles better than that!!!!! IMO
I don't know if you thought of the rotation of the wheels before or after you left the car,but next time you know they are coming off, mark the tyre/wheel for correct position. I mark my MC wheels rotation direction when taking my wheels in to have the tyres changed, because I'd rather they never have to remove the tyre again until it's time for a new one again.
Don't confuse the service manager with the ppl that will actually work on your car, also the SM see's different ppl and cars all day , I would find it hard to connect each owner to their cars.

Plus the car's there now and there's nothing you can do but wait to pick it up.............. Try not to think about it.......... enjoy your weekend.......:santadance:

Thanks will try to enjoy, even though I have Thu-Fri off so tomorrow is my Monday :(

Quick question...will the seals and gaskets hold up under the curing process of the powder coating while their in the oven at 400 degrees or am I screwed??? The guy said he was going to research whether or not they would before he fires them in the oven. If not he has to take the piston and everything apart, and if this is done will the seals and gaskets be reusable or do I need to order new ones?

some quotes from powdercoating forums -

------
i have done many sets with normal temp powder and they had no problems. i have the calipers coated on both my cars and have no problems. as long as you mask the pistons you dont have to take them apart, the brakes can take the temp of the oven, just make sure theres no brake fluid of course.
------

Just mask very well around rubber and try not to blast rite on mask use angles to do this then take mask off and clean and remask and spray the first few sets I did had pistons still in they turned out great.
-----

i use b17 after plugging all holes so it cannot get inside, or you can mask and sandblast like said above.

----

Personally I believe in taking them apart. Yes its more work to mask them but I feel thats the proper way to do it and it allows you to see the condition of the caliper. Some may need to be cleaned on the inside or rebuilt.

----

i have the customer take them apart , then into b17 if they are coated , after that i clean up any casting lines or what ever to make them smooth , then ill outgas for a good hour or so , then media blast , then coat .

personally i dont like the method of leaving them together . but to each his own

sounds like it takes some work to disassemble them, and some don't want to take the time. They'd rather plug/mask....while others want to just blast it all without worrying about prep. I don't know enough about it. I would think a dedicated powdercoating shop would have done a set of calipers before to know what they prefer.

I don't know what temps get to under hard braking , say , on a race track over and over, but if the seals/rubber can put up with that.............

Yeah I thought the same thing. Well I guess the powder coat shop was going to research online as well as make a few phone calls and see if its ok to fire them with seals. If not he's going to disassemble them and do it. I get the feeling he almost always gets them disassembled so he's unsure while they're assembled?! Just if he DOES take them apart curious if seals can be reused or have to get new ones?

Not a big deal if new ones are to be had just means Si is off the road that much longer and costing me more in labor not a super big deal just a little more of an inconvenience

no one mentioned replacing the seals on the powdercoating site

Well dealership called and got them all together but service manager said he was worried about them possibly leaking at a later time cause the pistons and seals came out for the baking process, I'm at work a little worried now. He says Honda doesn't rebuild brakes so if that were to happen I'd lose the calipers anyway, FML. Guess it would be a brake shop rebuild at that point or this was all worth nothing. Maybe they'll be fine ?? Hope so.

Back