self service car wash

Murcethecurse

hey guys just wondering if self service car wash foam brushes are good for my car or bad
the foam brushes have hog hair would that still make swirls

BAD! BAD!! BAD!!!

Don't use the foam brushes. People around here take their muddy trucks/SUV's to the car washes and use them. All the rocks/dirt/mud get in the foam brushes and mess your paint up!

My nearest self serve wash has signs saying no bucket washing.

So I show up with about 10 cotton wash rags already damp with a little of my preferred soap on them. I'll bring them in a plastic bag that I can hang on the wall. I'll wet the car down, rinsing all the surfaces very well.

I then use each rag on a particular section of the car. One for the roof and trunk, one for the hood, one for each side (upper/lower), rear and front bumper, and the wheels. I'll mark the rags to identify the ones that are used on the wheels, lower panels, and bumpers exclusively.

I work it around loosely (not pressing), just enough to get the dirt unstuck from the surface. I'll then give it a good rinsing again, using a clean, unused rag (with no soap) to wipe any spot areas that need a little more attention.

At that point, you can dry it using whatever preferred method you normally use.

I will rinse the rags out separately when I get home, then put them in with other cleaning rags to go through the washer.

This works well for me in that is costs me about $4 of self wash bay use, cleans without causing paint damage (swirls, scratches, etc.), goes quickly, and does not break the car wash rules.

^ echo what they've all said. "Touchless" car wash places would obviously be ok to use. Brushes of any kind are bad news.

The soap from what I've read here is to strong a well ...... another reason Kenny is using his own soap.

Also, in addition to washing the car what is the best way to clean the headlights without scratching it?

Also, in addition to washing the car what is the best way to clean the headlights without scratching it?
Buy some mico-fiber shop cloths............ drap 2 "soaking wet" ones on each light ...... make sure they're snoog against the headlight(or any thing)............. let them soak for 5min.......... and wipe "softly" with those MF clothes....... clean ? ...........If not repeat.

The main trick is always clean with something "Soft" & "Wet"....... Never dry.........

We are talking no cymicals , just water. The only window cleaner I like is "Invisable Glass". (and I'm new with this IG best stuff I've ever put on glass, And works well on Inside tints).

Yea stay away from the brushes. My self serve has the hi-pressure soap (soapy water from the wand at high pressure) which does a good job if you wash weekly, if you don't wash weekly I use 2 or 3 wash mitts and get a body panel soapy and use one for the lower part of the panels and one for the upper and one for the wheels... I am not bucket washing so I am not breaking any rules..

I just thought of a member on 8th who went through an automatic and had his car destroyed. Apparently the person who went through just prior to him owned a truck. The truck had a piece of barbed wire in his truck bed. One of the brushes on the machine picked it up ...and you can guess what happened when the civic owner went through. I know there were signs all over saying "not responsible for damages" etc. His paint was all jacked up.

Reason why if I go thru a machine it's touchless

True but I prefer using high pressure soap / wax wash by hand. In fact, this particular car wash I am using I can put my hand in front of the nozzle and it doesn't hurt. It's not even piercing type spray but gentle enough to remove most crap off the car. Finally that car wash is now taking credit cards by the machine. lol. Happy to get rid of bag of tokens. lol.

So yes I don't use the brush anymore. I did with my previous car and always pressure spray it before using it. Guess now doesn't matter how clean that brush is it's always going to do something bad to the car.

Well the only time I use the touchless is when the temperature drops below 35-40 and I don't wanna get frost bite....lol

Back